Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 2Pc Mirkit BAOFENG Radio UV-82 MK5 8 Watt MP Max Power UHV VHF Dual Band Two Way

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Idaho Panhandle
    Posts
    14

    Default 2Pc Mirkit BAOFENG Radio UV-82 MK5 8 Watt MP Max Power UHV VHF Dual Band Two Way

    Hi, everyone,

    I'm new to this forum and don't have a radio yet. I hope it is ok to post a question before introducing myself in the proper place. Thought I better do it later as information on the site said, Do not keep posting. So, I'll wait until this post has been moderated before following up with an introduction.

    Can anyone advise me whether the Baofeng UV-82 would suffice for a starter radio? Is it adequate, reliable for the low cost, or just a real bad idea? I'll order it soon if it is at least ok. Other options in the low end that anyone can give me will be considered. I have little technical knowledge. I should be able to flash the frequencies with the included programming cable. What attracted me to this radio was its larger size (than the UV 5), good reviews mostly and larger keypad. Lifelong working in construction has thickened my fingers. Not easy to use tiny keypads.

    Any help or advice will be appreciated.

    jjconstr

  2. #2
    Super Moderator 5B4AJB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Meneou, Cyprus
    Posts
    2,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jjconstr View Post
    whether the Baofeng UV-82 would suffice for a starter radio
    Of course, at least, you should have one at your disposal for such low cost.
    You will, eventually, end up with several different radios and that one will have its uses among them...

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Idaho Panhandle
    Posts
    14

    Default Bao1feng UV 82

    Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    Of course, at least, you should have one at your disposal for such low cost.
    You will, eventually, end up with several different radios and that one will have its uses among them...
    Thank you. That makes sense and agrees with posts I've seen where others have multiple radios if they have much experience. I'll get a pair of them and look into studying for the technicians test. I appreciate your input.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Ash Fork, Arizona
    Posts
    88

    Default

    I agree. The BAOFENG Radio UV-82 MK5 appears to be a very nice starter radio. It gets a very high score on Eham.

    However, there are many things to consider. And note, all of this in from the perspective living in the US. Outside of the US, regulations may differ.

    The UV-82 is advertised as being 8 Watts, but the specs in the user manual make no mention of that. They only mention 5/1. This means that on some frequencies it will transmit with 5 watts. But will reduce the output power to 1 watt on other bands. Usually, radios will limit to 5 watts on the GMRS channels and 1 watt on the FRS channels.

    The user manual also says that it will transmit and receive on 136-174 MHz and 400-520 MHz. This covers the GMRS and FRS channels plus the Amateur Radio 2 Meter 144-148 MHz) and 70 CM (430.0-449.99 MHz) bands. The rest of the frequencies may be allocated for various commercial and government purposes. This means that the FRS channels are the only channels you can transmit on, without a license.

    The GMRS channels, where the radio operates at 5 watts, requires a license. The license costs $70.00 and is good for 10 years. The nice part about the GMRS license is that it covers you, and your entire immediate family.

    The Amateur Radio frequencies (2 Meters and 70 CM) also require a license. The minimum requirement to use those frequencies is a Technician Class Amateur Radio license (aka ham license). It is a relatively easy license to get and only requires you to pass a 35 question test. QRZ.com has sample tests a study material. However, with the current quarantine, it may be awhile before the tests are offered. Just check with your local Amateur Radio Club. Amateur Repeater Directories are available on-line that will tell you how to set up your radio to access the repeaters.

    Good luck with your radio.
    Martin, K7MEM
    http://www.k7mem.com
    Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles from the Grand Canyon on Rt-66. Elevation 5,300 ft.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Idaho Panhandle
    Posts
    14

    Default Baofeng UV 82

    Thanks Martin,

    Very helpful reply. I'll save it for reference. Regarding this radio limiting transmission power to legal limits depending on frequency band, is that feature to be relied on? It would be great if it was. For newbies it would be one less thing to remember.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Ash Fork, Arizona
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jjconstr View Post
    Thanks Martin,

    Very helpful reply. I'll save it for reference. Regarding this radio limiting transmission power to legal limits depending on frequency band, is that feature to be relied on? It would be great if it was. For newbies it would be one less thing to remember.
    Yes, that feature can be relied on unless, the user goes poking around in the radio. Some users just can't see to leave things the way they are. Manufacturers often don't make it very difficult to open up the transmit range or change the power settings. But the users also know that, should they turn the radio into a brick, there is no recourse except to buy a new one. And then they are back to square 1. I have been working in radios and electronics for over 50 years now. I have not problem pulling the skins from any of my radios and working on them. But my newest radio, IC-735, is almost 40 years old. But I would never dive into something like the UV-82.

    Have fun with your radio.
    Martin, K7MEM
    http://www.k7mem.com
    Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles from the Grand Canyon on Rt-66. Elevation 5,300 ft.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Idaho Panhandle
    Posts
    14

    Default Baofeng UV-82

    Thanks .
    I won't be messing inside any radios. Electronics was never my thing. I'll leave that to those that know what they are doing.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Idaho Panhandle
    Posts
    14

    Default Programming Baofeng UV-82 using Chirp

    Quote Originally Posted by jjconstr View Post
    Hi, everyone,

    I'm new to this forum and don't have a radio yet. I hope it is ok to post a question before introducing myself in the proper place. Thought I better do it later as information on the site said, Do not keep posting. So, I'll wait until this post has been moderated before following up with an introduction.

    Can anyone advise me whether the Baofeng UV-82 would suffice for a starter radio? Is it adequate, reliable for the low cost, or just a real bad idea? I'll order it soon if it is at least ok. Other options in the low end that anyone can give me will be considered. I have little technical knowledge. I should be able to flash the frequencies with the included programming cable. What attracted me to this radio was its larger size (than the UV 5), good reviews mostly and larger keypad. Lifelong working in construction has thickened my fingers. Not easy to use tiny keypads.

    Any help or advice will be appreciated.

    jjconstr
    Update and question; Chirp is installed in Ubuntu 18.04.4. Trying to start the programming of my radios, I go to Radio/Import Stock Configuration/US FRS and GMRS Channels. A list of 52 channels comes up. Clicking ok doesnt export the frequencies to my radio which is connected to the laptop via a USB port.

    Is there a detailed instruction anywhere?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Idaho Panhandle
    Posts
    14

    Default MURS channels

    Quote Originally Posted by k7mem View Post
    I agree. The BAOFENG Radio UV-82 MK5 appears to be a very nice starter radio. It gets a very high score on Eham.

    The user manual also says that it will transmit and receive on 136-174 MHz and 400-520 MHz. This covers the GMRS and FRS channels plus the Amateur Radio 2 Meter 144-148 MHz) and 70 CM (430.0-449.99 MHz) bands. The rest of the frequencies may be allocated for various commercial and government purposes. This means that the FRS channels are the only channels you can transmit on, without a license.
    .
    I read a comment or article saying MURS channels are license free. Three at 151.something and two at 154.something. Was this correct? It was stated that some businesses use these also and would necessitate sharing.

    I've ordered the Study Manual from ARRL. Weather or not testing opens up again, I'll need to know the info.

    jjconstr

  10. #10

    Default

    What appears not to have yet been mentioned is the Tech license that you require to use the ham bands in that radio can now be done remotely online.

    UK & Australia have also started online ham exams. But like USA, the online exam is only available for the Foundation license (Tech license USA).
    It's only a matter of time before all ham exams are available online. The arguments regarding the potential to cheat will continue. However, having seen the questions in the UK Foundation exam, l very much doubt that anyone would need to cheat as a primary school kid can pass that exam.
    I have no idea re how difficult the Tech exam is on your side of the Atlantic.
    Perhaps someone can advise you on that.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G7NFP View Post
    What appears not to have yet been mentioned is the Tech license that you require to use the ham bands in that radio can now be done remotely online.

    UK & Australia have also started online ham exams. But like USA, the online exam is only available for the Foundation license (Tech license USA).
    It's only a matter of time before all ham exams are available online. The arguments regarding the potential to cheat will continue. However, having seen the questions in the UK Foundation exam, l very much doubt that anyone would need to cheat as a primary school kid can pass that exam.
    I have no idea re how difficult the Tech exam is on your side of the Atlantic.
    Perhaps someone can advise you on that.
    There are several options available for remote/online testing available in the US and they are testing for all three license classes, Technician, General and Extra. The biggest issue right now is backlog.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K6CPO View Post
    There are several options available for remote/online testing available in the US and they are testing for all three license classes, Technician, General and Extra. The biggest issue right now is backlog.
    Many thanks for that information. I had no idea that all classes were available online your side of the pond.
    That goes to confirm that it's only a matter of time before UK does the same.
    Then after we do it, Australia is sure to follow.

    I have seen some guys use the term "Virtual hams" in reference to the online exams. But we need to accept that the online exams are here to stay.
    They abolished the practical test which formed part of the Foundation exam in UK. Although l never seen the need for that test personally.

    I never needed to sit any practical tests, as when l sat the exam l went straight for the full test to ensure l wouldn't need to worry about any more exams. But in the 90s we done the night school, read the books, then sat 2 exams one after the other. The first one was easy enough as it related to operating conditions (time allowed 1hr 15 Min). The 2nd one was much more difficult as it related to electronic theory. (time allowed 1hr 30 Min). Both exams were City & Guilds qualifications.

    Those came in useful when l went to work for a company where electronic skills/qualifications meant a bigger pay cheque ("check" USA).
    When l sat those exams l never foreseen that l would use those qualifications outside the hobby. Or that having them would result in me being paid $200-$400 more per month than my work colleagues.
    Last edited by G7NFP; Sat 2nd May 2020 at 12:00.

  13. #13

    Default

    Hey! Just wanted to leave this here, since although I'm new to everything, my first radio is also an UV-82.
    It does not have a way to change power based on the frequency you're on. Rather, it has an option in the menu that lets you pick from high power (which the manual says it's 5W) and low power (1W). So you can transmit with low power in any frequency you want, but you need to be careful if you're using it for FRS and remember to set it to low power before transmitting, if doing so is legal where you are.

    It's sad how everywhere seems to be having online exams but where I live. I really want my license D:

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •