Thread: Tecson S2000 Receiver, Looking for recommendation on effective indoor antenna

Post Tecson S2000 Receiver, Looking for recommendation on effective indoor antenna

I am new to ham radio. I've purchased a Tecson S2000 receiver and would like to connect an improved external PLUG-IN indoor. Would like to improve all bands but especially extreme distance reception.

Would like to use one that does not overwhelm the RF input, good signal to noise ratio. The antenna would be located near the unit.

I believe the receiver has a coax input for this feature. However, I would need to know if the antenna coax needs to be grounded one end, both ends and information of that sort. Any help with these matters would be greatly appreciated. I've browsed around somewhat but have found no significant information that addresses specific brands and models of antennas for this application.

If a small outdoor antenna is applicable I can mount such a device as well if the performance over an indoor would justify such a product.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew100 View Post
    Would like to improve all bands...
    A shortwave loop should do for now.

good signal to noise ratio...
    Now you're talking about a magnetic loop.

coax needs to be grounded...
    Single point ground to the radio should be good enough. If you can't set up a nice, short ground to a real earth (stake), leave it disconnected. A bad earth, to mains earth for example, can introduce line noise to the receiver. Test your power supply versus battery noise level.

outdoor antenna...
    For VHF aircraft, a crossed dipole, or better, a Lindenblad will give good results.

All of these items are cheap, except the coax.
    The Lindenblad can be tricky to manufacture, but is well worth it (they use them at airports)...