Thread: howdy - new member introduction

Default howdy - new member introduction

Hi All,

I am interested in learning about HAM radio. I started out looking for a high quality emergency radio solution and came across a lot of HAM radios. I always had an interest but never pursued it until now. So I am a true beginner. I am looking for guidance on how best to get started, where to go for reading material, and interested in a good quality mobile solution (e.g. hand held) to get me started.

Thanks

Well first, you need to let us know, approximately, on what part of the planet you reside. Amateur Radio rules and regulations change depending on what country you live in.

Second, "ham" is not a acronym and is not capitalized. It's just "ham".

There are lots of "ham" radios available. But note that, to use them it usually is required to have a ham license. In the US, getting a license is relatively simple. To get a Technician Class license, which would allow the use of VHF/UHF hand held radios, you only need to pass one test. If you go to QRZ.com there are Practice Exams available. These practice exams are made from the actual question pool that is used for testing. You can take the sample test, as many times as you need to. When your scoring over 90 percent, regularly, it's time to go for the real test.

The current situation, with everyone being isolated, most testing stations are closed. However, they are starting up a new on-line site. I believe that there is some information for the on-line tests on QRZ.com. I saw a posting on QRZ the other day about the first on-line license being issued. But I didn't pay attention to the URL.

Most of the VHF/UHF radios available have very wide receive capability, but will not allow you to transmit outside of the ham bands. For example, the radio may cover 137 to 155 MHz for receive, but will only transmit on 144-148 MHz, which is the 2 Meter ham band. So to use it legally, you need a Amateur Radio license (Technician or above). You should get use to the radio and get familiar with its operation now, rather than wait until a real emergency. Otherwise you will just be fumbling around.
    Martin, K7MEM
    http://www.k7mem.com
    Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles from the Grand Canyon on Rt-66. Elevation 5,300 ft.

Default Thanks and Update on Progress

K7MEM, thanks for the information.

I am starting my research into study material for getting my ham license. I also purchased the BaoFeng BF-F8HP and it should be delivered this week. Along with the radio, I ordered the cable to allow programing from my computer...

Any suggestions for study material and free test sites?

Why does the word "Howdy" make me assume southern USA states is his location?

Hi from England btw.
    As Martin said, you need to do that study & get a licence. The only other way is buy a CB radio.

73 Jim
    Last edited by G7NFP; Tue 21st Apr 2020 at 15:01.