Thread: Listening to repeaters

Default Listening to repeaters

Good morning all. I recently received my technician license and want to listen in to learn the radio etiquette. I purchased the Yaesu ft60r and the programming software to put repeaters into my transceiver. In the software it has a category to insert the following: tone,dcs,ccts,none and so forth. I put my repeat channels on tone thinking that I would be able to listen but I'm not hearing anything on any of the repeater channels. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

What software did you get?

ADMS-1J programming software for the Yaesu FT-60

Might be actual repeater traffic any more. People need to key up and say hi if this hobby is to survive.
    But really, if the repeater has no output tone, leave the radio with no receive tone. If you need to transmit a tone to open the repeater, that's different. Not many times do you need a tone to hear a repeaters output.

Unless there's something I'm not understanding...

Hey. I absolutely agree about chiming in. I will definitely "get my feet wet" and be more proactive. Thank you for the advice. I went into my programming and switched from TONE back to NONE. We'll see how it goes. Thanks

guessing you are in the US because you refer to Technician licence

i'm in the UK so YMMV - repeaters over here are ctcss tone to access ( to stop random transmissions o nthe input opening the repater) but they transmit without a ctcss tone , so if you have a recieve side ctcss set on a channel it's only going open the audio if the ctcss tone is present ...

this is probably the best explanation of repeater operation I have ever seen. This may help you in determining if you're doing anything wrong.

http://www.alpinelakes.net/uploads/2...lstein__1_.pdf

Well - amateur radio isn't commercial broadcast radio, so just because there is a repeater there, doesn't mean that anyone uses it..

Where I live, the local repeater owner joined a group of repeater owners and linked 50 repeaters together, they call it the Wide Area Network - WAN repeater system.. I haven't heard a conversation on the wan in 6 months - since my cousin Tony Bologna moved to a rest home.

Cell Phones killed repeaters!

Might I suggest you do a web search - maybe city data dot com - for your area and find someone that is an active ham to tutor you.
    There isn't much you can learn from FM Communications where I live, most people don't even use their call signs anymore..

Simplex sounds more like cb radio than ham here..

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
    Well - amateur radio isn't commercial broadcast radio, so just because there is a repeater there, doesn't mean that anyone uses it..

Where I live, the local repeater owner joined a group of repeater owners and linked 50 repeaters together, they call it the Wide Area Network - WAN repeater system.. I haven't heard a conversation on the wan in 6 months - since my cousin Tony Bologna moved to a rest home.

Cell Phones killed repeaters!

Might I suggest you do a web search - maybe city data dot com - for your area and find someone that is an active ham to tutor you.
    There isn't much you can learn from FM Communications where I live, most people don't even use their call signs anymore..

Simplex sounds more like cb radio than ham here..
    Commercial broadcasting refers to a one-way communication to a broad spectrum audience with no expectation to receive a response. Commercial broadcaster stations use translators (aka broadcast relay stations) not repeaters. To make an association between the two is a senseless way to inject your negativity. And with your consistent hatred toward FM VHF and higher radio use, it shocks me you would even monitor your local repeaters to know they have been quiet for that long.

People use FM on HF too. How the information is incorperated into a signal doesnt make its use in the hobby less valuable intellectually. Curious where you were going with that statement because it doesnt seem helpful to a question about repeaters. Just because you dont hear any FM stations doesnt mean you cant learn about FM. You dont need a QSO to learn.

And cell phones didnt kill repeaters, there are still countless repeaters in use every day. Your hatred toward "walkie talkies" and anything non-HF is TRYING to kill repeater use because you think repeaters are the cheaters way to be a ham. You'll never kill the HT off, sorry.