Thread: Recommendations for multi band vertical for mounting on mast.

Default Recommendations for multi band vertical for mounting on mast.

Hi all, looking for recommendations for a vertical multi band that'll be ok mounted on a 30ft tower please.

Thanks in advance

Comet GP-6 has a good trade off decent gain in a one piece design.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyjaffa View Post
    Hi all, looking for recommendations for a vertical multi band that'll be ok mounted on a 30ft tower please.
    I am assuming, like Tempstar, that you are looking for a VHF/UHF Multi-Band antenna. The Comet GP-6 will work just fine, at any height. I have a Diamond X30A Dual-Band (2M/70CM) Base/Repeater Antenna. A friend of mine had this antenna mounted at 20 feet and it seemed to work OK.

For 2 Meters, I have a three element Yagi mounted on a 30 foot mast. I bought the Yagi over 50 years ago, when 2 Meters was an AM band. I use an old Radio Shack TV Antenna rotator to aim it. In my area, there aren't many repeaters. But when I point it at a repeater that is about 50 miles away, the signal is 20db over s9.

Multi-band Vertical antennas for HF can also be mounted on a tower or mast. I have a 5BTV mounted at the top of a 18 foot section of 2 inch iron pipe. It works great at that height, but the radials are a bit of a problem. I use 4 tuned radials per band that are attached to the antenna base and stretch out at a 45 degree angle. I have to keep the radial ends off the ground so that my horses don't get tangled up.
    Martin, K7MEM
    http://www.k7mem.com
    Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles from the Grand Canyon on Rt-66. Elevation 5,300 ft.

The GP-6 is a good antenna (got two of them). Naturally, the higher you mount the thing the better it will work (can 'see' further) barring obstructions. Couldn't afford the GP-9 or I'da got it! The '6' doesn't do miracles so don't expect them...