Thread: Intro to Ham Radio

Default Intro to Ham Radio

I'm about to be getting my license for Ham Radio. I've been looking at radios and I'm not sure whats good vs bad. I wanna do something I can easily put in my car. Or a handheld that I can route through my car to increase the signal level. I was hoping for like under $200 or maybe just a little over. Any help I could get would be great. I'm still learning and getting into Ham Radio.

I used the Yaesu FT-60 to get acquainted with local club nets and ragchew. Got an open box deal from HRO. That will put you in business with local repeaters.
    DC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KB3TVE

The FT-60 looks like a descent hand held. I have several 2M/440MHz "under the dash" type of radios (Kenwood TM-201B and a TM-V7). The "under the dash" type of radio generally costs considerably more than a hand held. The TM-V7 went for over $700 new. Whereas, the FT-60 only goes for about $150. And now, the hand held radios are offering the same utilities as the "under the dash" type.

But, I don't know what you mean by "Or a handheld that I can route through my car to increase the signal level."

You can probably get a better signal by using a external antenna, rather then the rubber ducky on the hand held. I have 3-Element Yagi for 2 Meters, that I bought over 50 years ago, that works great in my area. I also have a Diamond X30A Dual Band (2M/70CM) Base/Repeater antenna. If you put that X30A on a 20-30 foot mast, you will hit every repeater within a 50-100 mile radius.
    Martin, K7MEM
    http://www.k7mem.com
    Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles from the Grand Canyon on Rt-66. Elevation 5,300 ft.