Thread: Kenwood TM-V71A and cross band repeat questions

Default Kenwood TM-V71A and cross band repeat questions

I've had my tech license for a while, but never did much with it living in a second story apartment in town with many rules and little space. I have now moved out to a house in the country with all the freedom and space I need, and I'd like to get into the hobby more. I have a problem though. I live in a valley with 300-500 hundred foot tall hills all around me. There are 2 different 2 meter repeaters that I can hit from my house, but only from a recently mounted DBJ-1 on the peak of my second story roof. On the ground, I get absolutely nothing, no RX or TX from my HT or the mobile radio in my car to the repeaters in town. So I'm looking for a way that I can use my HT RX/TX to and from the repeaters, that way I'm not tied down to my desk. Cross band repeat looked like it would fit the bill until I realized that it was technically illegal, due the the fact that the cross band radio cant auto ID. Until I saw that the Kenwood TM-V71A could auto ID. However, does it only auto ID on the UHF frequency that would be used to TX/RX between my HT and the Kenwood? I was hoping for a permanent solution that I could leave on all the time, but I wouldn't want the Kenwood auto transmitting my ID on the 2m frequency to the repeaters in town every 10 minutes 24/7. I'm sure that would make a few people unhappy. Then that also makes me wonder if it has the ability to time out and stop auto repeating my ID on the UHF frequency if it doesn't receive anything from my HT for a while. Again, I wouldn't want it auto ID'ing every 10 minutes on a UHF frequency 24/7 either. I'm guessing what I'm asking is far too much out of a mobile radio and may even have some legality or other issues... I'm pulling my hair out and have about googled and youtubed my fingers raw trying to come up with a solution that is legal, reliable, is always on, requires minimal input from me, and doesn't broadcast anything unnecessary when I'm not actively using it. Simply turning the Kenwood's cross band repeat on and off when I need it isn't a great option either, since I cant even listen to the repeaters connecting my HT to the antenna on my roof. Any suggestions? Or am I destined to be tied down to a desk if I want to RX/TX with anyone on the repeaters. Thanks - Chris

Whatís wrong with ďThis is kc5fm listening WX5EM repeaterĒ?

You have identified the repeater and your crossband link.

Donít make it harder than it really is. Automatic identification is only for the lazy. In the 70s, identified stations like in the first paragraph were the norm.

Lloyd, KC5FM
    twitter.com/KC5FM

The last time I checked a cross banding station requires an ID, but personally I think it’s a bad idea. There are many repeaters and linked systems that have many stations cross banding the transmissions and one link system I can think of probably has hundreds of cross band activity. Could you imagine if they all IDed every 10 minutes ! The repeater trustees would prohibit it.
    Anyway, may be right and wrong about the 71 being able to ID. I’ve had one cross banding for seven years, nonstop ! and it only ID’s on the input of the signal you’re repeating but....... I friend bought a new 71 about six months ago and the option for IDing in the menu is disabled ?
    So it looks like there’s a serial number cutoff where they don’t ID.
    But to answer your question a station needs a control operator whether that is manually or automatically.

Ken

You could try a shorter whip on the center of your vehicle roof. If you use a 5/8 whip, switch to a 1/4 wave whip. Even if you clipped a 1/4 wave a little shorter and used a loading coil to tune it. I've always had better luck reaching repeaters on hills with shorter antennas. I believe the main radiation lobe goes off at a higher elevation angle for shorter antennas. A shorter mobile whip might get you into the hills and troposcatter or knife edge might get you beyond them. Both cases require you to aim that radiation up toward the hill peaks.
    Last edited by brandon lind; Sun 9th Feb 2020 at 18:06.

Quote Originally Posted by AC5PS View Post
    The last time I checked a cross banding station requires an ID, but personally I think itís a bad idea. There are many repeaters and linked systems that have many stations cross banding the transmissions and one link system I can think of probably has hundreds of cross band activity. Could you imagine if they all IDed every 10 minutes ! The repeater trustees would prohibit it.
    Anyway, may be right and wrong about the 71 being able to ID. Iíve had one cross banding for seven years, nonstop ! and it only IDís on the input of the signal youíre repeating but....... I friend bought a new 71 about six months ago and the option for IDing in the menu is disabled ?
    So it looks like thereís a serial number cutoff where they donít ID.
    But to answer your question a station needs a control operator whether that is manually or automatically.

Ken
    That's the first I've heard that some of the 71's could auto ID and some can't. Guess I would want to talk to Kenwood about that one. At least I know now that the auto ID only happens on the input signal. I still don't like the idea of it auto ID'ing on UHF all the time. Which would still probably be illegal, because if I walked away without shutting off the 71, then the 71 would be automatically transmitting without being under anyone's control. At least it wouldn't be auto ID'ing on the "in town" repeater input frequency all the time lol. That would be really bad! Sadly, I think no matter what, I'm going to be tethered by coax to the antenna on my roof. Unless I want to duct tape and superglue a Diamond X200A antenna to my HT and drag around a ground rod with me wherever I go on my property.

I think I miss worded about the ID freq. it will TX the ID on the freq that you are Xbanding, the ID will be retransmitted over the repeater, not the frequency that you would be using locally ( unfortunately ).
    “ Unless I want to duct tape and superglue a Diamond X200A antenna to my HT and drag around a ground rod with me wherever I go on my property.”
    You would be like Doug on the gieco commercial when they gave him the key to the city : )

Never heard of anyone, ever, ID'ing a crossband radio. When you ID you are ID'ing both radios at the same time. I feel like KW has the feature for using the 71a as a stand alone crossband repeater, not for your application as a single user.