Thread: Help required setting back up on packet radio

Default Help required setting back up on packet radio

Hiya,

After along absence, I am just getting back into ham/packet radio.

Having forgotten pretty much everything, I'm effectively a newbie again, so was wondering what advice you might have to get my old Kantronics KAM set back up on 2m/70cm.

I was previously using it with a BBC B microcomputer (I told you it was a long absence!), but am now on Windows.

I am particularly wondering what software to use - something that can connect the 25-pin serial port from the KAM to a USB, RJ45 or HMDI port on my computer?

Or do I really need to replace the KAM with something a bit more modern? If so, any suggestions that won't break the bank?

Thank you in advance,
    James

Kantronics is still in business and selling updated modems. Also, reconditioned "BBC B Microcomputers" are still available on Ebay. But their price is on par with a new one of the day. You should be able to use a modern computer. Here is a link to XPWare Communications Software. They are now offering all of their software as freeware. It looks like they have software that runs in XP or DOS.

A google search on "kantronics kam software" should get you lots of hits. And KAM has been discussed in several forums, like https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thr...m-plus.482329/.

The problem with the software is that, it is intended to run on early versions of Windows or in DOS. And, it often comes on 3-1/2 Floppies. I have an old SubNote laptop that runs Windows 3.1, with a floppy drive and a real serial port. So I could run the software just fine. I use it with a Morse Code Send/Receive program that runs under DOS.

Computers of today, tend to lack serial ports. But you can get USB to Serial Port Converter cables. I have 4 or 5 of them with 9 pin connectors, but I buy one with a 25 pin connector. You should be able to get any serial communication software, like PUTTY or HyperTerminal, to talk to the modem.

You may also look at DxLab software. I believe they still support external modems, like yours, for RTTY.
    Martin, K7MEM
    http://www.k7mem.com
    Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles from the Grand Canyon on Rt-66. Elevation 5,300 ft.

Hiya Martin,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay acknowledging it / getting back to you.

I've finally got my old BBC B microcomputer working again.

I also found my old "PK232" software for it which (eventually) loaded up nicely.

I then connected up my old Kantronics KAM, which lit up nicely for a couple of seconds before a few of the components went up in smoke...

Have just bought another KAM off eBay, but not sure itis configured correctly as, comparing it to my old one, it has a few jumpers missing.

Will post a new message about that in a mo.

Cheers,
    James