Thread: Multi band HF vertical antenna recommendations pleaae

Default Multi band HF vertical antenna recommendations pleaae

Hi all,

New to the forums and pretty new to HF. I'm after some recommendations for a multi band vertical antenna. I'm A bit stuck for room at my location but I have a mast. I'm looking for a vertical that will perform good high up if one exists. Many thanks for any help.

Jim.

Well, I have a Hustler 5BTV that I have mounted at the top of a 18 foot section of 2 inch iron pipe. Except for the run in I had with a bolt of lightening, it works great. I lost the 80 Meter resonator and a antenna tuner in an instant. But the antenna works good ground mounted or elevated. With a ground mounted vertical, your counterpoise can be random lengths of wire, radiating from the feed point. However, elevated vertical antennas need tuned radials and the radials should slope down from the feed point. I use four radials per band (40, 20, 15, and 10 meters). I arrange them much like a fan dipole, with four radials in each fan. I use wooded spacers to keep the radials apart.

I wouldn't depend on using the 5BTV on 80 meters, even with a resonator. The bandwidth is very small. Normally, the 5BTV only covers 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 meters. There is also a 6BTV which adds 30 meters. There are some simple mods on the internet for adding 12 and 17 meters. And, some have modified the antenna for 160 meters by making it an inverted-L configuration.

My 5BTC has stood up very well to high winds. I live in the mountains (high desert) near the Grand Canyon and get lots of high winds. The 2 inch iron pipe mast never budges, but the antenna certainly bends. But when the wind stops, the antenna is always nice and straight.

Note, I bought mine used, at a ham fest. I commonly see them available for around $50 or $60. New, they are a little pricey.

I also recently purchased a DXE THUNDERBOLT, used from a friend. The friend is SK and I purchased it from his XYL. The Thunderbolt is 43 feet tall and operates 160 through 10 meters. But it does require a lot of ground radials. They specify 32 radials, 65 feet long. I know the friend loved the antenna, but I have not been able to put it up yet. I'm trying to sell the ranch and want the Thunderbolt for my next house. DXE discontinued this antenna a few years ago.
    Martin, K7MEM
    http://www.k7mem.com
    Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles from the Grand Canyon on Rt-66. Elevation 5,300 ft.

Chameleon with MIL whip, or CB whip. Just remember, any vertical will be a compromise and will require a radial system to be the most effective. Even an end fed would be a better choice, configured as an inverted Vee since you have a mast.
    Also, the higher up a vertical is, the less effective it will be since the ground plane it operates against will be further away. This matters a lot on lower frequencies, not as much on VHF and up.
    I operate a Chameleon vertical at times when the space is not conducive to running horizontal. I have found that I get my best take off angle when the base is around 3' off the ground. I have placed it on a 55' mast before at a field day and didn't get real good results. I tried to determine why later at home by placing the rig 43' up and got the same results, but it came alive again when lowered to 3'. Radials were used in both instances.
    Not trying to be discouraging, just sharing what I have done to maybe save you some time and trouble.

A magnetic loop? easy to build, performance similar to a dipole.
    1.5m diameter works well on 20m and up with limited performance lower down.

Perfect for spot frequency working, otherwise you have to re-tune every time you QSY - one day, I'll put a tutorial up here on construction...