Thread: Hello from North Florida

Default Hello from North Florida

New to this site, and new to Amateur Radio. Presently studying for the Technician test, and only own a recently purchased handheld. Wanted to get into the science of it to have a new challenge, as well as possibly find a way to help my community. We're retiring to Montana, and out yonder I'm thinking I'll have lots of ways to use the knowledge, as well as wide open space for reception...Anyway, looking forward to meeting and talking with y'all, as well as expanding the mind, such as it is.

It will be quite a climate change. I lived for about 40 years in the Phoenix area and got very use to the mild winters. Of course, the summers were no picnic. But now I live in Northern Arizona, where the morning temperature is in the teens. But I have lived in a lot of different climates.

I would recommend that you expand your studying to include the General and Extra class. Sites like QRZ.com and Eham.net provide sample tests and study material. Once you start scoring 90 percent on the sample tests, your ready for the real one. While the tests are not exactly easy, it is common lately to take, and pass, all three tests in a single session. A General or Extra will provide you with lots of new challenges. The Volunteer Examiners (VEs) that provide the testing will usually encourage you to take the next level. Like anything else, getting the license is the easy part. The real learning comes after. But that also when the real fun starts.

A hand held is nice to have. In a urban environment, there will be usually be lots of others with handhelds. And, there will be an abundance of repeaters. However, in the wide open spaces, the number of users and repeaters, drops drastically. However, a nice HF transceiver and a simple dipole will get you all over the world. I live in a pretty rural area, about 60 miles south (as the crow flies) of the Grand Canyon. Here, the buffalo still roam and the deer and antelope still play. Lots of cows too, but you don't want to mess with them. At an altitude of 5,300 feet, I have lots of nice signals from everywhere in the world.

Amateur Radio is a hobby that has lots of different aspects. There is repeater operation, satellites, various data modes, several voice modes, etc.. Choose the one you like the best and pursue it. Me, I like CW operation. I was first licensed in 1965 and have been working CW since then. I have some microphones, but they usually sit in a drawer. Even though the Morse Code test is no longer required, many new hams are learning to send/receive Morse Code. Just pick a part of Amateur Radio that you like, and go with it.

Good luck on your test.
    Martin, K7MEM
    http://www.k7mem.com
    Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles from the Grand Canyon on Rt-66. Elevation 5,300 ft.

Good luck with your test from UK.

The equivalent exam over here is the novice exam.
    A novice license allows you to use "all" the ham bands with a maximum of 10w (but who checks that?).

BTW they have now started your tech exam online. Never been a better time to sit that exam. You don't even need to leave your bedroom. Or your bed for that matter lol.

73 Jim
    Last edited by G7NFP; Wed 22nd Apr 2020 at 21:28.