Thread: Research Your Club

Default Research Your Club

Just wanted to give my experience joining a Ham Radio Club; as a total newbie to the hobby. I received my call sign in Feb 2019. I immediately started looking for a local club in Morris County. As Ive read, joining a local club is how you learn more about the hobby. I found a local club from the ARRL website. I joined this local radio club and found out it was total bootleg; what a waste of money! They were unorganized and only had interest in catering to those knowledgeable members. I got the impression they had no interest in teaching new members. Their website is a couple years out of date and provided no useful information for a new person to the hobby. I made it clear I was a total newbie with no knowledge of the hobby but it didnít seem to matter. I thought clubs would have some type of new member orientation but with this club you are basically left to flounder on your own. I attended 3 meetings and not once was there an acknowledgment about new members; other than their initial voting in. My point is, to those new to the hobby, research clubs and do not settle for a club just because itís convenient (as I did). Oh, and Iíve never received any type of email from the club keeping me posted of events. The couple events I did learn about were from listening to the club repeater and hearing other members talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johncampo View Post
    Just wanted to give my experience joining a Ham Radio Club; as a total newbie to the hobby. I received my call sign in Feb 2019. I immediately started looking for a local club in Morris County. As Ive read, joining a local club is how you learn more about the hobby. I found a local club from the ARRL website. I joined this local radio club and found out it was total bootleg; what a waste of money! They were unorganized and only had interest in catering to those knowledgeable members. I got the impression they had no interest in teaching new members. Their website is a couple years out of date and provided no useful information for a new person to the hobby. I made it clear I was a total newbie with no knowledge of the hobby but it didnít seem to matter. I thought clubs would have some type of new member orientation but with this club you are basically left to flounder on your own. I attended 3 meetings and not once was there an acknowledgment about new members; other than their initial voting in. My point is, to those new to the hobby, research clubs and do not settle for a club just because itís convenient (as I did). Oh, and Iíve never received any type of email from the club keeping me posted of events. The couple events I did learn about were from listening to the club repeater and hearing other members talking about it.
    I did the same thing when I was first licensed. I knew joining a club was the best way to learn. I tried a couple of different clubs. The first one I went to completely ignored me at my first meeting. I never went back (except once and in a different capacity.) The second club I tried acknowledged me and made me feel welcome. (In retrospect, it may have been because they saw a sucker coming.) Now, almost nine years later, I have served as Vice President and now President (starting my eighth year.) I must be doing a good job because the club voted me Ham Of The Year for 2019.

Being a member of the club helped me gain confidence in amateur radio and I'm now a member of the local ARES group, Public Information Coordinator for the Section, and a Fire Department volunteer in the city where my club is located. I also became a Team Leader with our local VEC and administer the bulk of licensing examinations given in our county.

As the OP has said, don't go with your first choice if other clubs are available in your area. Another club might be a better fit.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

At some point you may discover how different clubs have varied, different strengths even. Don't let the first experience sour you to the potential out there. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Thank you, I was losing hope and interest in the hobby. You can only learn so much before you start having questions that can only be answered by talking to someone.