Thread: Ideas for 2 meter antennas for $120

Default Ideas for 2 meter antennas for $120

Currently, I am using a DBJ-1 antenna (like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/DBJ-1-Dual-...-/113516146770) for my VHF radio.

It has served me well, but I am looking into upgrading to something a bit better to help me reach more distant repeaters.

I don't want to spend more than around $120 on a new antenna. Is there an antenna that will get me better performance for this price point (provided that the height, radio, and location are kept unchanged)?

Or am I really best sticking with what I got right now. If $120 isn't enough, how much more would I have to spend to see a real improvement.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by maalikm; Sat 30th Nov 2019 at 15:04.

That antenna is good deal and probably works as well as that form factor can do. You might contact Dr. Ed & group if they have further antenna ideas. Other than that, putting it up higher is probably the best (& only) way to accomplish what you want.

But you don't indicate your radio. How much power are you running? And knowing the radio make/model will tell us how good it "hears" ... how senstivie the rcvr is in other words. Both very important factors.
    -Jeff NE1U

Whoops, almost forgot that...

I'm using a Kennwood TM-281 with no more than 65 watts of power.

The three main antennas I'm looking at are the Diamond X2200A, Diamond F22A, and the Tram 1481. I am indeed willing to change the form factor of the antenna if it could yield an improvement.

Also, while I'm currently using RG8X, I plan to replace it with RG213. Is this necessary for a 30-50 foot run?
    Last edited by maalikm; Sat 30th Nov 2019 at 15:05.

At vhf and up, yes 213 is the better choice. There are better choices than 213 but the only way to be sure is compare specs vs cost and see where it is your wallet cries uncle.

Currently, I have the antenna hung up in a tree with the tip about 30 feet off the ground, the best it can get are repeaters 60 or so miles away.

If I used one of these vertical 2 meter antennas, that height would be about 20 feet (as measured from the bottom of the vertical).

Would it still be the switch to the Diamond F22A?
    Last edited by maalikm; Sun 1st Dec 2019 at 00:17.

Can you go higher with the existing, or replacement antenna? Sounds like it works fairly well now.

I'm afraid I can't get the current one up higher than 30 feet. Would I be correct in assuming that something like the Diamond F22A won't help my situation much if I can't raise it?

Default Re

Quote Originally Posted by maalikm View Post
    Currently, I have the antenna hung up in a tree with the tip about 30 feet off the ground, the best it can get are repeaters 60 or so miles away.

If I used one of these vertical 2 meter antennas, that height would be about 20 feet (as measured from the bottom of the vertical).

Would it still be the switch to the Diamond F22A?
    If you're getting 60 miles you have about reached out as far as you can. We do have a repeater in my area that is 1600' and will do 75 miles, but there aren't that many out there that high.
    Height is always your friend, so getting your antenna higher is better than buying one with more gain.