Thread: HAM Switchboard?

Default HAM Switchboard?

Is there a product or technique for operating a "HAM switchboard"?

The idea is that operators would call into a single frequency (or something like the DARN network), then the control station which was receiving those calls could shift the calling station's conversation to a different frequency/network, keeping the original frequency/network open for other traffic.

Like a telephone switchboard does, but for HAM ... operator calls into Net Control with a resource request, and Net Control routes the call to the Resource Control station, so the Request doesn't tie up Net Control's availability.

I suppose the Net Control operator could reply to the incoming station with instructions to shift to the different frequency, but I would like to learn if it is possible to do it from the receiving Net Control station, without forcing the incoming station to change.

My concern is that sometimes a station may be able to reach a repeater, or some simplex frequencies, but they may be out of reach of the target station, if they have to change frequencies.

I'd like to use the tool/concept to route traffic to the appropriate command stations, when there are a lot of transmitting stations with different kinds of traffic.

TIA 73

Quote Originally Posted by KM6WKA View Post

The idea is that operators would call into a single frequency (or something like the DARN network), then the control station which was receiving those calls could shift the calling station's conversation to a different frequency/network, keeping the original frequency/network open for other traffic.

Like a telephone switchboard does, but for HAM ... operator calls into Net Control with a resource request, and Net Control routes the call to the Resource Control station, so the Request doesn't tie up Net Control's availability.
    You mean like packet radio?

Default Can you be more specific, please?

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    You mean like packet radio?
    How do you mean, please?

Are you referring to X.25, and how can that be used in the way I'm asking about, in a manner like a standard telephone switchboard, please?

In my scenario, I'm thinking that all operators are using standard gear ... mobile, HT or base radio units, typically connecting to a standard repeater or linked repeater network.

How does packet radio fit into that, in order to re-direct traffic to a different repeater system or some simplex route that is transparent to the incoming traffic operator?

Apologizing for my ignorance, I'm looking for specific equipment or techniques that can do that, just like a telephone switchboard does.

I appreciate your interest and input and an expansion on your comment's specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by KM6WKA View Post

I suppose the Net Control operator could reply to the incoming station with instructions to shift to the different frequency, but I would like to learn if it is possible to do it from the receiving Net Control station, without forcing the incoming station to change.

My concern is that sometimes a station may be able to reach a repeater, or some simplex frequencies, but they may be out of reach of the target station, if they have to change frequencies.

I'd like to use the tool/concept to route traffic to the appropriate command stations, when there are a lot of transmitting stations with different kinds of traffic.

TIA 73
    On the surface I want to say no, not in daily operations AFAIK. I do remember a regional emergency band plan that has all the actors pre staged on "their" frequencies, but there was no "Central Scrutinizer" directing traffic to other frequencies. What made you think of this?

Looking further into your question, I think you need some sort of commercial - type equipment. You could do it if every station had a packet transceiver and CAT capable radios.

Maybe a simpler approach would be a better idea, like CTCSS on a single frequency...