Thread: Hello from Bruxelles, Belgium

Default Hello from Bruxelles, Belgium

Hello, I am from Bruxelles, Belgium. Well, I currently live in Belgium, but I am from Italy. I have had my license for a few years, but I have many hobbies, so I manage to do very little activity. Still, when I have some time, I like to learn something new.

To me it is very important to understand deeply how radios work, down to the maths (I am a mathematician in my daily job). I much prefer being able to build a radio that transmits across the road understanding everything of how it works, then having a powerful expensive box that transmits from Europe to Australia, but that is just magic to me. Unfortunately many ham resources often skip the maths and just give qualitative explanations. They're good, but I like to get deeper. If someone has resources to suggest me, I'd be happy to read them.

Thanks!

Hi from UK.

Sounds like the radio gear such as they had on the Titanic would interest you.

Type into search box "clansman military radio" or search eBay for "vintage ham radio".

You can buy much of that gear at bargain prices as most guys want modern radios that are menu driven & do everything at a press of a button.

Old or military radios require calculations for best (or any) performance. Then you can make dipoles from lengths of copper wire (more calculations required).
    I made my own dipoles when l started out on radios. Not because l preferred dipoles but because l could not afford a new antenna.

You may find more satisfaction with vintage or military radios. And it makes very interesting conversation when you contact guys thousands of miles away using that set up.

73 Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ON4GIO View Post
    To me it is very important to understand deeply how radios work, down to the maths (I am a mathematician in my daily job). I much prefer being able to build a radio that transmits across the road understanding everything of how it works, then having a powerful expensive box that transmits from Europe to Australia, but that is just magic to me. Unfortunately many ham resources often skip the maths and just give qualitative explanations. They're good, but I like to get deeper. If someone has resources to suggest me, I'd be happy to read them.
    It's not all about transmitting. It's also about receiving. Having a transmitter that transmits from Europe to Australia, doesn't do you any good, if you can't hear them.

You might be more interested in a Software-defined radio (SDR). All you need to get started is a computer, with a sound card, and a SDR dongle. The possibilities are endless. And it gives you a chance to get that high end computer that you have always wanted.

Here are some selections from Amazon. They come in all shapes and sizes.
    Martin, K7MEM
    http://www.k7mem.com
    Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles from the Grand Canyon on Rt-66. Elevation 5,300 ft.