Thread: NiCad Charging Advise

Default NiCad Charging Advise

Hi all.

Some months ago I purchased a Czech military radio and up until now I haven't had much time to do anything with it, however I recently got it unpacked and struck it up as there was some charge left in the NiCad battery and had a little play around with it.
    These particular field radio's don't come with any sort of charger for the battery, not quite sure why, perhaps they are meant to be plugged into a vehicle, as out in the field there will be no power facilities.
    To charge these cells up I'm going to have to connect a voltage direct to the battery pack pins but I'm unsure what voltage to be supplying to the pack and this goes for any sort of re-chargeable battery not just my mil radio.
    With most 12 volt lead acid batteries, the charge voltage is about 2 volts over and above the running voltage and I wondered what I should feed into any sort of NiCad cell, regardless of it's running voltage.

For example: If a 12v LA battery is 14v charge, does a 7.2v NiCad need 8-9v or a 9.6v pack need 10-11v ???????
    Also is this a straight DC voltage or a pulsed voltage ????

Hope that all makes sense.
    Thanks for any help.
    Steve.

Hmmm...

Thanks for that Brandon. Judging by what I read there I think the best thing to do is to populate the battery case with a new LiIon or LiPo battery pack with proper cell monitoring circuitry and use my proper charger.
    Just supplying the battery with some voltage to the pins means I can't monitor and adjust what is going on. Might end up with either a chemical volcano or worse.

Yes, you are better off replacing the Ni-cads with new LiIon or LiPo batterys.

I have an old calculator that used three AA sized Ni-cads in series. When the calculator was being used, the drain on the batteries would sometimes cause the middle battery to reverse polarity. Sometimes I was able to reverse the polarity again, but usually not. Sometimes the batteries would drain, and then refuse to charge again. I used a simple power supply to recharge them and didn't have any volcano or chemical issues.

One time (~15 years ago) I built a triple battery pack for a friends FT-817. All of the batters were rechargable LiIon. One of the packs contained the Charge Controller and a group of batteries. The Charge Controller was interfaced with a small Solar Array. The other pack contained two groups of batteries. A switching arrangement was set up so that any one of the three battery groups could be selected for running, while another group was being charged. Overall, it work pretty well, but was pretty heavy.
    Martin, K7MEM
    http://www.k7mem.com
    Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles from the Grand Canyon on Rt-66. Elevation 5,300 ft.

I would get some new batteries and the correct charger from somewhere lazada. You can get all from there.

Sent from my MAR-LX2 using Tapatalk