Thread: Hello everyone.

Default Hello everyone.

Hello!

Hey everyone, I'm new to the hobby and currently studying for my technician and general exam. I do have a few questions that I hope you all can help me with. I live out in the boonies surrounded by rolling hills and very tall pine trees. I did a search for repeaters in my area and the closest one is 10 miles away from where I live. I know you guys always recommend going to my local area Ham Radio Club but its over and 1 1/2 hour drive from where I live. From what I have read it would seem that the only way for me to be able to transmit and receive would be with a HF base station? So my questions are:

1. Is that the only way?
    2. And if so how do I go about doing that, equipment needed etc...

PS. I programmed a Baofeng FH-FH8P using chirp and bought a named brand Nagoya antenna and I get nothing at all. I hope you all can help me as I'm loving this hobby more and more everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Hello!

Hey everyone, I'm new to the hobby and currently studying for my technician and general exam. I do have a few questions that I hope you all can help me with. I live out in the boonies surrounded by rolling hills and very tall pine trees. I did a search for repeaters in my area and the closest one is 10 miles away from where I live. I know you guys always recommend going to my local area Ham Radio Club but its over and 1 1/2 hour drive from where I live. From what I have read it would seem that the only way for me to be able to transmit and receive would be with a HF base station? So my questions are:

1. Is that the only way?
    2. And if so how do I go about doing that, equipment needed etc...

PS. I programmed a Baofeng FH-FH8P using chirp and bought a named brand Nagoya antenna and I get nothing at all. I hope you all can help me as I'm loving this hobby more and more everyday.
    Welcome to the hobby! These are some great questions you have, and the answer to them is, it all depends.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but there are many variables that play into being able to hit the repeater. One of the biggest is the antenna. Height, feedline, resonant frequencies, line of site and things of that sort. That applies to the repeater as well as your radio. I have easily hit a repeater with an 8 watt ht from greater than 10 miles away, but I had a magnamount antenna on top of my vehicle, creating an excellent ground plane. The nagoya ut-72 is a great antenna that handles 80+- watts, and comes with an adapter for ht's. A 25 watt mobile unit (qyt 8900d is what I have) got me into the repeater 20+ miles out. Again this will depend on antenna line of site and other things I mentioned earlier. Also check out the qyt 980+, that's 75 watts and does an amazing job. I use both of these models mobile and do not have problems. 8 watts is what I started with and had no problems, but it depends heavily on your area. If you have more specific questions please ask, and again welcome.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
    73s, God bless and good day. KD9KVS
    I have a brain injury.
    I am not my brain injury.
    This does not define me.