Thread: Re: reprogramming a Baofeng ht

Default Re: reprogramming a Baofeng ht

I hope this is the right forum.

While I was in the hospital my god son was caught by his dad, my room mate play with my Baofeng UV-5RA ht. While he was messing with the ht he found in the menu #40 factory reset and hit it.

I know how to manually reset up the ht. But not 100% like it was. It was the it was when I got it used. It had a bunch of VHF,UHF repeaters and simplex frequencys in the (A) memory bank, the upper display with a ch number next to it. In the (B) , lower display memory bank was FRS1 then FRS2 and so on with ch numbers next to them also. I looked at the ht memory a few times with Chirp (i never changed anything via Chirp) the setup was fine the way it was. When I looked at the ht memory with Chirp it started with a repeater freq in ch #1 and I think the next 20 to 40 ch's had repeater and simplex freq's in them. Then there was about 20 to 25 blank ch's then there was the FRS freq's 1 to 23 if I remember right.

I know how to program repeater and simplex freq's into the (A) bank on the upper display via the ht keybord. but the display says CH-001. When I key up that repeater that I programed into CH-001 I get the right repeater response. In the menu numbers 21 and 22 the MDF's can only be done from Chirp. I barley know how to load the ht memory into Chirp. Let alone change anything. I could use some help please.

The memories in a/b are the same. The radio is dual standby but, both selections feed from the same memory bank. There are plenty of videos on youtube giving step by step instructions on how to program using chirp. Amazon is a great place to get the programming cable. As far as getting your old programming list back, unless you have it saved (written or digital) somewhere, you will have to re-find the information and program it in. Using chirp will make things alot easier as long as the information is input correctly. You can also get rid of the blank frequencies by programming them on line. Also see repeaterbook for a list of repeaters in your area. By creating an account you can download the frequencies in a manner to put them straight into chirp. I hope this was some help. Further questions or more specifics please feel free to ask.
    73s, God bless and good day. KD9KVS
    I have a brain injury.
    I am not my brain injury.
    This does not define me.

I have the USB programming cable. I can upload the ht's memory and write to the ht's memory ok. I know how to setup the (A) display. I know all the info that was in the ht's memory. When I programmed a repeater into the ht via the ht's onboard keyboard. The repeater setup ok and responds ok. But the display shows in display (A) "CH-001" and not the frequency and no memory ch number to the right of the display. The only problem that I have in programming from Chirp is getting the display to look like the setup bellow. Disregard the uv-5r_v1.0.pdf file. I uploaded the wrong file the 1st time and I don't know how to del files in the file monument .

In the jpg picture that I scanned from the ht manual. Where it shows the 145.125 in the lower display was FRS1 and the FRS frequency was programmed into that memory slot. I did look at the ht's setup via Chirp but I never saved it.The way the setup was, memory ch 1 to about 25 was filled with repeater and simplex frequencies on the upper display. in Chirp after the last ham ch there was about 20 blank ch's then there was the FRS frequencies. And the FRS frequencies where displayed in the lower display as FRS1, FRS2 and so on. I got the upper display with the ham repeater and simplex frequencies inputted into the ht's memory ok. It is getting the FRS frequencies set and inputted into the lower memory display that confuses me. If this makes any sense to you?

Quote Originally Posted by KD9KVS View Post
    The memories in a/b are the same. The radio is dual standby but, both selections feed from the same memory bank. There are plenty of videos on youtube giving step by step instructions on how to program using chirp. Amazon is a great place to get the programming cable. As far as getting your old programming list back, unless you have it saved (written or digital) somewhere, you will have to re-find the information and program it in. Using chirp will make things alot easier as long as the information is input correctly. You can also get rid of the blank frequencies by programming them on line. Also see repeaterbook for a list of repeaters in your area. By creating an account you can download the frequencies in a manner to put them straight into chirp. I hope this was some help. Further questions or more specifics please feel free to ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

I just got done replying to KD9KVS with a quote. It took me a while to type it in. And the reply IS NOT showing period. I put a lot of effort into the reply and it is nowhere to be found. What gives.

Well I have pretty much got Chirp figured out except for setting a ht memory ch to display on the (B) display instead of the (A) display. Can someone please tell me how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-kc7byp View Post
    Well I have pretty much got Chirp figured out except for setting a ht memory ch to display on the (B) display instead of the (A) display. Can someone please tell me how that works.
    There is an option for it in chirp, I can't remember where, but to do it from the ht press menu, press 22 for b (21 for a) press menu, select the display you'd like on the radio, press menu again and you should be golden.

Here is a link to all the menu options in your uv-5r
    https://www.universal-radio.com/cata.../0205menu.html

Let me know how that works for you.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
    I have a brain injury.
    This does not define me.

Sorry for dbl posting this reply. I dom't know how it happen

To kd9kvs. I know about menu nimbers 21 and 22. The manual that I have, the one that I d/l and the link that you sent me all say that #21 and 22 can only be done via a program software like Chirp. I have the prog cable, the driver for the cable is installed. I have the (A) display programmed except I can't get the frequency to display unless I type the frequency into the name column. This ht is the most complicated ht tp program ether via direct entry on the ht's keyboard or via PC programming.

There is an option for it in chirp, I can't remember where, but to do it from the ht press menu, press 22 for b (21 for a) press menu, select the display you'd like on the radio, press menu again and you should be golden.

Last edited by Steve-kc7byp; Mon 14th Oct 2019 at 23:28.

To kd9kvs. I know about menu numbers 21 and 22. The manual that I have, the one that I d/l and the link that you sent me all say that #21 and 22 can only be done via a program software like Chirp. I have the prog cable, the driver for the cable is installed. I have the (A) display programmed except I can't get the frequency to display unless I type the frequency into the name column. This ht is the most complicated ht to program ether via direct entry on the ht's keyboard or via PC programming that I have ever owned .

Last edited by Steve-kc7byp; Mon 14th Oct 2019 at 10:34.

To kd9kvs. I know about menu nimbers 21 and 22. The manual that I have, the one that I d/l and the link that you sent me all say that #21 and 22 can only be done via a program software like Chirp. I have the prog cable, the driver for the cable is installed. I have the (A) display programmed except I can't get the frequency to display unless I type the frequency into the name column. This ht is the most complicated ht tp program ether via direct entry on the ht's keyboard or via PC programming.
    It is the "channel" names that can only be edited via software. If you want just a plain v.f.o. display where you can put in a frequency and use that frequency then your option is the orange vfo/mr button in the top left corner right below the screen.

To get the frequency for the memory you are on press menu, press 21 or 22, press menu to enter options, press 1(for name on display) 2 (to select frequency display) 3 (for memory number)》you want to select 2 for this《, then press menu again to save. Press exit to return to the homescreen and the frequency for that memory will be displayed, instead of name.

Using this method you can have the name as needed and still view the frequency. Your "channel" is always displayed on the right side of your screen in small numbers. The only reason I see to use "channel" is if you have someone who is not a ham, or much younger and that's all they need to know is go to this number. Do remember there is still additional information as far as ctcss tones and such that you will have to retrieve from menus or make sure are off if programming another radio. Keep me posted.

I have a brain injury.
    This does not define me.

To kd9kvs. Thanks for clearing up the confusion about how to work menu's #21 and #22, when setting them up on the ht's keyboard. I also think I have #21 and #22 figured out from the Chirp side side of the house.

It is the "channel" names that can only be edited via software. If you want just a plain v.f.o. display where you can put in a frequency and use that frequency then your option is the orange vfo/mr button in the top left corner right below the screen.

To get the frequency for the memory you are on press menu, press 21 or 22, press menu to enter options, press 1(for name on display) 2 (to select frequency display) 3 (for memory number)》you want to select 2 for this《, then press menu again to save. Press exit to return to the homescreen and the frequency for that memory will be displayed, instead of name.

Using this method you can have the name as needed and still view the frequency. Your "channel" is always displayed on the right side of your screen in small numbers. The only reason I see to use "channel" is if you have someone who is not a ham, or much younger and that's all they need to know is go to this number. Do remember there is still additional information as far as ctcss tones and such that you will have to retrieve from menus or make sure are off if programming another radio. Keep me posted.

To kd9kvs. Again thanks for get ride of the confusion about menu #21 and 22. I tried #21 on the ht already and it works. I still have a problem finding ht menu #21 and #22 on Chirp for the PC part of #21 and #22.

To kd9kvs. Again thanks for get ride of the confusion about menu #21 and 22. I tried #21 on the ht already and it works. I still have a problem finding ht menu #21 and #22 on Chirp for the PC part of #21 and #22.
    Not a problem at all. We all start not knowing, that's the beauty of places like this, we can learn.

For chirp, go to the left side of the screen and click settings right under memories. About 2/3s down the first page (basic settings) you will see display mode (A) and display mode (B). Click the dropdowns and you will be able to select it from there. When you upload to your radio it will then appear in that format. Remember to save the image with the settings you want so that it will do that anytime you re-upped the image. If you create a new image with different memories, you will need to make sure these are set the way you desire.

I have a brain injury.
    This does not define me.

Thanks again for the info on display modes (A) and (B). I found the settings > basic settings and that's where the settings are.

Not a problem at all. We all start not knowing, that's the beauty of places like this, we can learn.

For chirp, go to the left side of the screen and click settings right under memories. About 2/3s down the first page (basic settings) you will see display mode (A) and display mode (B). Click the dropdowns and you will be able to select it from there. When you upload to your radio it will then appear in that format. Remember to save the image with the settings you want so that it will do that anytime you re-upped the image. If you create a new image with different memories, you will need to make sure these are set the way you desire.

You are welcome, good day and God bless, 73s for now.

I have a brain injury.
    This does not define me.