Thread: CB radio converstion for Ham use.

Default CB radio converstion for Ham use.

Just an idea of mine... I have an SSB/AM/FM CB radio that will cover some of the 10 Meter band "28MHz" so it shouldn't be to hard to convert this radio. The radio in question is a Ham International Multi mode CB radio which I'd like to use on 4 meters "70MHz"

I think there is enough space inside the radio to house a transverter board to change 28MHz into 70MHz then all I'd need to do then is figure out how to tune the KHz steps. I can't find a frequency list of the 4 meter band so I can't give an example at this time.

Lets say I tuned the CB to channels like these "28.500 MHz FM" or "28.450 MHz FM" once they go through the transverter they'll be "70.500 MHz FM" "70.450 MHz FM" and the same concept for SSB modes and AM modes.

What do people think?

Pretty sure any CB/10M rig is against the rules. While converting may be possible it won't make it a type accepted radio.

Ham radio equipment, except for commercially-sold external power amplifiers and the receiver sections of most transceivers, do NOT REQUIRE "type acceptance" or "certification". Hams are the only FCC licensees who can design, build and operate their own equipment, or modify existing equipment to operate legally on the US amateur bands. Granted, that radio the OP described won't be certifiable for CB use after it's modified, but from the way it's described, it's not certifiable for CB at all.

The user is responsible for ensuring spectral purity, splatter and other considerations are within the limits of Part 97 before operating on the air.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Quote Originally Posted by K7KBN View Post
    Ham radio equipment, except for commercially-sold external power amplifiers and the receiver sections of most transceivers, do NOT REQUIRE "type acceptance" or "certification". Hams are the only FCC licensees who can design, build and operate their own equipment, or modify existing equipment to operate legally on the US amateur bands. Granted, that radio the OP described won't be certifiable for CB use after it's modified, but from the way it's described, it's not certifiable for CB at all.

The user is responsible for ensuring spectral purity, splatter and other considerations are within the limits of Part 97 before operating on the air.
    Those import radios aren't certified for 10M use either as they can also transmit on 11M so they aren't consider ham radio equipment.

It would be nice to know exactly what radio the OP has.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn Archimedes View Post
    Ham International Multi mode
    I've got one, pretty good on 11m, does work on 10, but as you might expect, it cant compare to a "real" ham radio.
    It was given to me by a fellow ham who used it for years...

As for the op, I think it would be a good project, you will understand a lot from it. It may not be the best solution, ie you might spend more than simply buying a secondhand 6m multimode (like an FT690 nudge, nudge - suggestions?)