Thread: Hello from Deep East Texas Sam Rayburn Lake

Default Hello from Deep East Texas Sam Rayburn Lake

Hello everyone,

I have just joined the Forum and hope to be an active member as time will allow. I have not been on the air for a number of years but have set up a "new" station and glad to be back on the radio again. I have updated my Bio on QRZ.com so all the information is current.

Have a great day,
    Thomas Travis / WA5DX

Hi from UK Thomas,

Been a few months since you started this thread, but l notice that nobody bothered to welcome you.

Hope your station is now up & running.
    I have recently retired so now thinking of getting my gear out the boxes & setting up a station. Especially now we are locked down.

I spotted a mobile rig that l always wanted many years ago but could never afford. Now that money is no longer an issue l snapped it up. Even if l use it only for display. It's a mint condition & boxed FT900-at. I also have an FT450-at. However l am considering a base HF rig.

Hope to hear your voice coming across the Atlantic soon.

73 Jim

Quote Originally Posted by G7NFP View Post
    Hi from UK Thomas,

Been a few months since you started this thread, but l notice that nobody bothered to welcome you.

Hope your station is now up & running.
    I have recently retired so now thinking of getting my gear out the boxes & setting up a station. Especially now we are locked down.

I spotted a mobile rig that l always wanted many years ago but could never afford. Now that money is no longer an issue l snapped it up. Even if l use it only for display. It's a mint condition & boxed FT900-at. I also have an FT450-at. However l am considering a base HF rig.

Hope to hear your voice coming across the Atlantic soon.

73 Jim
    G'day Jim,

Yes it has been awhile and appreciate your reply. I have been active on the air now that my new station is fully up and running. I am also active on the QRZ Forum and have several threads over there. I have made quite a few changes to my "radio inventory" and one unit is a FT-890 with Antenna Tuner and I really like this ole radio. When I was living on my boat I had one of these and made a ton of contacts with it so I guess it has a bit of sentimental value. I am making most of my contacts now with a TenTec Eagle that I purchased used, but it looks absolutely new. I am sure it is the same for you over there, the band conditions are not great and fluctuate a lot. Hopefully it will not be too much longer before we can work all of the bands.

Have a great day and 73's
    ThomasT / WA5DX

Hi again Thomas,
    I had several boats many years ago. Loved the fact that l could simply cast off & move on when l wanted. Never had a ham license then or radio would have been installed for sure.

I am also on qrz forum. An interesting thread ATM. "Remotely invigorated online Foundation exams".
    You should pop in & give your opinion as they are also doing online Tech license in your QTH.

Can't decide whether to set up station in house or workshop. Couple of lathes in workshop so be spending some time out there this summer. A few years ago l was making atomisers for the vaping community. Google "UKVA Maxi". Guys worldwide bought those from me. Even a guy who owned a vape shop in California had one.

Would love to buy another boat but wife on oxygen 24/7. Machine in house plugs in & produces an endless supply. Then we have 2 big ass cylinders living in conservatory in case power should fail. Then a liquid oxygen tank that l fill her portable tanks from. If our house ever caught fire there would be a very big bang.

Perhaps we will cross paths on the airwaves one day. With boats & radios it would be an enjoyable QSO.

73 Jim