Thread: LPDA questions

Default LPDA questions

Alright, so I've been digging around trying to find complete information on the construction dimensions for this thing and have come up with nothing for the last few pieces of information. It's a high frequency antenna so millimeters matter here. First, if my boom is made of wood and I have a 6 gauge copper wire running along the top and bottom to connect the elements, do I need to shorten the elements based on the width of the copper wire? Second, if my boom is made of half inch wide square aluminum tubing, does the boom count towards the length of the elements? Should I drill holes and insert them internally or mount the elements to the top? Is there a difference? Will it affect the elements lengths? Lastly, what's a stub exactly? Does the geometry or spacing of it matter? Is it just a wire? If using an aluminum boom that's too long, does it count towards the stub? (If the elements are soldered directly to it). Thank you for any help you can provide.

"High frequency" is the general term for frequencies between 3 MHz and 30 MHz. At these frequencies, a few (or even several) millimeters won't matter much. What frequencies/bands do you have in mind?
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Oops, I didn't mean high frequency as in HF. It's a 2.4ish Ghz antenna.

Quote Originally Posted by SaucyJack View Post
    Oops, I didn't mean high frequency as in HF. It's a 2.4ish Ghz antenna.
    THAT makes a difference!
    I've never experimented on anything above 440 MHz. I'd take a look at commercial antennas, see how they do it and try to copy it.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Most certainly will need to keep tolerances exceptionally tight at these frequencies for maximum bang. Precision fabrication at its finest!