Thread: Diamond K9000 Mount with Comet CA-2x4SR Antenna or Other Options?

Question Diamond K9000 Mount with Comet CA-2x4SR Antenna or Other Options?

All,

I am working on getting rid of my short mag mount dual band antenna. I thought pulling it off and on when I go in and out of my garage, but that is becoming more of a hassle then I thought it would. My first thought was an NMO mag mount, but even just unscrewing the antenna seems like I am going to hate still. So I guess that leaves me two options. The first being mounting something like the Comet CA-2x4SR on a lower mount like a bumper mount. Which from my understanding will limit the contact when overheads, but will also affect my TX/RX capabilities. So my first thought was the Diamond K9000 motorized mount. This would get rid of the hassle of getting in and out of the car, though not my memory issues lol. Is there a preference between the left and right side of the vehicle? I guess I forgot to mention what that is. I am mounting on a Gen 5 4Runner luggage rack. My understanding is that center of the vehicle (does that only matter on a mag mount?) is the best place, but I really don't want to deal with other items up on the rack getting in the way. Additionally, I assume the mount is grounded through the attachment on the luggage rack. Is there anything I should do to improve the grounding? I also assume for wind stability and avoiding the getting caught on items the whip should fold toward the back of my vehicle? Lastly, can I replace the switch with any momentary double throw switch? I would like to integrate it into one of the dash block off plates. Oh and I guess one more. Any reason I shouldn't just tap into the radios power lead from the battery?

Also open to other ideas,

Don

Note to mods: Can I get my post in the intro forum approved? I posted it before the last post I had approved in the radio forum.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKiltYou View Post
    center of the vehicle is the best place...
    That will "only" affect the radiation pattern - I say only because the radiation patter is everything. Yes, the centre will give you the most even pattern, which is what you want for a mobile vertical.

Mounting on the back bumper for example will bend the pattern backwards giving you slightly more gain facing away from you.

You could always suspend a pole on chain just above your carport so the antenna whacks that before it hits anything solid.

Quick disconnect antenna mounts are OK, the 5/8 stud thread with sleeve & twist lock is probably my favourite, though it doesn't fit all antennas.

[edit]
    You should run the radio directly from the battery to avoid any noise generated by the car, make sure you fuse both red & black wires close to the battery.
    Last edited by 5B4AJB; Sat 7th Sep 2019 at 15:07.

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    That will "only" affect the radiation pattern - I say only because the radiation patter is everything. Yes, the centre will give you the most even pattern, which is what you want for a mobile vertical.

Mounting on the back bumper for example will bend the pattern backwards giving you slightly more gain facing away from you.
    So then the motorized mount even off center attached to the side of my luggage rack would perform better then a bumper mount? I assume that since it would be all overhead rather then being blocked in the direction that I am traveling.

You could always suspend a pole on chain just above your carport so the antenna whacks that before it hits anything solid.
    Sadly I have to park fully in a garage where I live. There is less then 12 inches of space from the top of the garage door opening.

You should run the radio directly from the battery to avoid any noise generated by the car, make sure you fuse both red & black wires close to the battery.
    Currently the radio is on a home run to the battery today. My question is would it be that bad to use that same power lead for the motorized mount. Just makes the run shorter for me since the radio is mounted under the drivers side seat rather then all the way to the fuse box or battery.

Don