Thread: Yaesu FT-70D Cannot Create Memory Banks

Default Yaesu FT-70D Cannot Create Memory Banks

Hello,
    My issue is when I assign a memory bank to given frequencies in ADMS software by checkmarking desired bank no, then uploading, no memory banks show accessible through pressing Band Key on radio. Cannot create a bank manually either per manuals instructions. Shows No Bnk
    Is there a known firmware glitch with this radio. Radio was bought new last month, what gives?
    Would like to checkbox all my channels to put into assigned banks 1,2,3,4 etc, then be able to enter the desired bank by pressing band key, and rotating knob for selection of individual mem banks to scan separate from others. What gives, very frustrating!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Mike K; Mon 2nd Sep 2019 at 01:15.

Are you aware there is a second manual for this radio that has to be downloaded from the Yaesu website? That manual, called the Advance Manual, gives the detailed instructions for manipulating Memory Channels and Memory Banks. I would suggest trying to place memory channels in banks by hand first.

Regarding your programming setup, what software and cable are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by K6CPO View Post
    Are you aware there is a second manual for this radio that has to be downloaded from the Yaesu website? That manual, called the Advance Manual, gives the detailed instructions for manipulating Memory Channels and Memory Banks. I would suggest trying to place memory channels in banks by hand first.

Regarding your programming setup, what software and cable are you using?

Thanks for the reply, I have downloaded the advanced manual and cannot create or recall any memory banks. Iím using the supplied USB cable and the downloaded Yaesu ADMS Software.

If you look around on some of the other amateur radio forums, you'll see a lot of complaints about the free Yaesu software. I tried programming my FT1D with the supplied cable and the ADMS 6 Yaesu software and I was able to program a grand total of one repeater in the radio. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to work beyond that point. When I bought the FT1D programming software from RT Systems and programmed the radio using that and a microSD card (I don't think the FT70D has that capability) it programmed perfectly. I have used RT Systems software for just about every radio I own and it's worked perfectly the first time and every time.

My recommendation is that you bite the bullet and purchase the RT Systems cable and software package for your FT70. It will end all the frustration and you'll be able to enjoy your radio more.

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/FT-70D-...ble-s/2699.htm

Default Workaround Solution Found

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Hello,
    My issue is when I assign a memory bank to given frequencies in ADMS software by checkmarking desired bank no, then uploading, no memory banks show accessible through pressing Band Key on radio. Cannot create a bank manually either per manuals instructions. Shows No Bnk
    Is there a known firmware glitch with this radio. Radio was bought new last month, what gives?
    Would like to checkbox all my channels to put into assigned banks 1,2,3,4 etc, then be able to enter the desired bank by pressing band key, and rotating knob for selection of individual mem banks to scan separate from others. What gives, very frustrating!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    (WORK AROUND SOLUTION FOUND)

1. With memory channels already check-boxed in ADMS Programming Software and uploaded to radio, and radio then put back under normal operation.

2. Here is what I had to do to work around the glitch: in memory mode (normal memory mode, not memory bank) select a random memory, press and hold V/M key. "F" blinks in display. Rotate the dial to a bank that you don't have memories registered to. Press the V/M key to save.

3. Now when V/M Mode is selected and on a memory channel, press BAND key until you see a Bank displayed, QUICKLY before display returns to memory mode, press the F Key to hold the radio in Bank Mode.

4. Rotate Knob to choose desired Bank, then press PTT button to select that bank. Now turning the knob will cycle through all the channels in that bank. Press F, then Scan [2], radio will now scan this chosen memory bank.

5. When you wish to go back to normal Memory channels, press BAND key until you see Memory, now you are back to all your channels. Repeat steps 3-4 to select a specific Memory Bank again if desired.

6. Note: to rename the bank(s), enter Menu Item 9 with long-press on F, then rotate selector knob to select BNK NAM.

7. Press F key to pull-up bank display, rotate knob the select desired bank to name or re-name, then long-press on V/M

8. Rotate knob to start naming the bank digit by digit. Press BAND key to advance to next digit, MODE Key to go backwards, so forth and so on.

9. Press PTT to save the new name entered into the chosen bank.

Not sure why the radio has this issue, and doesn't function as the manual states? Maybe the RT System cable and software would be the solution for programming in memory banks instead of ADMS?
    Still is strange that manual adding of channels to banks and recall of doesn't work per latest manual instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by K6CPO View Post
    If you look around on some of the other amateur radio forums, you'll see a lot of complaints about the free Yaesu software. I tried programming my FT1D with the supplied cable and the ADMS 6 Yaesu software and I was able to program a grand total of one repeater in the radio. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to work beyond that point. When I bought the FT1D programming software from RT Systems and programmed the radio using that and a microSD card (I don't think the FT70D has that capability) it programmed perfectly. I have used RT Systems software for just about every radio I own and it's worked perfectly the first time and every time.

My recommendation is that you bite the bullet and purchase the RT Systems cable and software package for your FT70. It will end all the frustration and you'll be able to enjoy your radio more.

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/FT-70D-...ble-s/2699.htm
    Thanks for the reply, I have also read these complaints also regarding the program of banks solved by the RT System. Interesting that their system plugs into a microphone port for programming on the fly without the un-needed complication of using a power pack with battery removed, unplugging when powered up, then powering back up with usb now attached, while holding AMS key, etc.
    I wonder how the data is transferred through an audio port with the RT System? Sounds like a better system as one can program in the field simply by using a laptop and data cable without all the other hoops to jump through. I did post a crazy work around that seems to work ďat least for my radio.Ē I now have named banks that I can scan. What a stupid way to get around the glitch however. As mentioned previously,
    things just did not function as per the latest advanced manual.
    Thanks for your help sir.

I'm glad you found a work-around, but it shouldn't be working that way. Have you tried to program memory channels into the various banks by hand? You might try that and see if it mske a difference in the way the radio works.

Unfortunately, I don't have an FT70 and am not really familiar with it. I'm trying to help based on my experience with other Yaesu radios. You might look around your area and see if there's a club that might have someone that could give you some hands-on instruction.