Thread: TX ERROR for GMRS REPEATER ON FTM-400XD

Default TX ERROR for GMRS REPEATER ON FTM-400XD

Hey all,

Pardon the dumb question in advance, first time post and extreme newbie...

So I am patiently waiting for my call sign to be posted on the database but until then I am trying to use local GMRS repeaters on my FTM-400XD in my Jeep Wrangler and when I go to transmit I get “ERROR TX FREQ” and I cannot for the life of me figure out what the problem is. Any and all help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks

Mark WRDX376

That radio comes locked to the ham bands as FCC type acceptance does not allow that radio to be sold for or used with GMRS frequencies. You would need to look into a mars/cap modification which typically involves opening up the radio and removing a component from the board. I do not know if this is readily done with that radio and will leave the rest of the research up to you. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lind View Post
    That radio comes locked to the ham bands as FCC type acceptance does not allow that radio to be sold for or used with GMRS frequencies. You would need to look into a mars/cap modification which typically involves opening up the radio and removing a component from the board. I do not know if this is readily done with that radio and will leave the rest of the research up to you. Good Luck!
    Thanks for the response brandon, a friend reached out after I posted and said the same thing. I don’t think I’ll mess around with that just yet, I’ll just wait patiently for my callsign lol. Thanks again though.

Mark WRDX376

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lind View Post
    You understand that undertaking this modification to use that particular radio on GMRS is illegal. Well, making the modification in itself is not illegal, but subsequently using the radio on GMRS is. The FTM-400XDR does not hold FCC type certification for GMRS and cannot be used there. That's why it's locked to the ham bands.
    Last edited by K6CPO; Fri 23rd Aug 2019 at 22:16.