Thread: New to Radios Looking for some help

Default New to Radios Looking for some help

Hello all! I am totally new to this and have what most might consider a sub-par radio in a BaoFeng UV-5R. I am looking however to get the most out of it in my area. If you can help guide me to posts or links I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Well, if you've just got your license and want to check out what's on 2m and 70cm near to you (and you don't want to spend a heap of money) the the little Baofengs will do the job (you'll have read through all the comments about them or you wouldn't have called them 'sub-par'). I have a couple and they do just fine, for local simplex on 2m and for running through local repeaters on 2m and 70cm. If I should drop one or it gets stolen, it's 25. My wife and I had a meal out on Saturday that cost more than that, so I won;t be crying!

But you could also look around and get a used Yaesu dual bander for little money. Does the same job, but better.

If you haven't yet got your licence, then that's the first step, of course. Find local clubs and meet up with other hams. Find out what YOU want to get out of the hobby and go down that path. 2m and 70cm is a good start but you might find yourself drawn to HF SSB, digital modes or microwave frequencies!
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

Two questions for you:

1. Are you licensed? If so, what's the call?*
    2. When you refer to "your area", just what "area" do you mean?

*If you're not licensed, listen all you want on the Baofeng; just don't transmit.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.