Thread: Baofeng UV-5X3 Battery life

Default Baofeng UV-5X3 Battery life

I have a new Baofeng UV-5X3. What is the expected battery life? I get about 15-20 minutes of scanning, then have to charge 1.5hours for another 15-20 minutes.
    That seems pretty short battery life. Is that the normal time? How long does the 3800mh battery last?

My UV-5R V2+ consumes about 90mA during scan according to my bench supply. My battery is rated at 1800mAh, which means the radio should be able to run for about 1800mAh/90mA=20 hours. That number isn't far off from what I experience.

If your battery is rated at 3800mAh and your radio draws what mine does, your battery SHOULD be lasting around 3800mAh/90mA= 42 hours. I would say your battery is toast if it only lasts 20 minutes.

Default Short battery life with UV-5X3

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    I have a new Baofeng UV-5X3. What is the expected battery life? I get about 15-20 minutes of scanning, then have to charge 1.5hours for another 15-20 minutes.
    That seems pretty short battery life. Is that the normal time? How long does the 3800mh battery last?
    Yeah, that's sounds incredibly short. The stock battery that came with my UV-5X3 has lasted for 8 to 9 hours of continuous scanning (27 channels programmed in) with intermittent tx (guesstimate of about 45 minutes of talk time). I got the extended battery (Baofeng Model BL-5L) which seems to last slightly longer....about 10 hours. Sounds like your battery is defective. The BL-5L replacement is nice that it adds more size to the radio without adding weight, plus they're not very expensive.