Thread: Yaesu FTM-400XDR audio problems with external speaker

Unhappy Yaesu FTM-400XDR audio problems with external speaker

I purchased this radio brand new a couple of days ago. The radio appears to work perfectly without an external speaker (it's quite loud and does the job!) on both VFOs. I can't keep the volume cranked up as it's actually too loud (with the body sitting on the seat next to mine).

If I plug in an external speaker, I receive great audio from the first VFO which is the 2m portion. I can keep that cranked to about 75% and it's just fine.
    However.....

Any - any - audio coming from the bottom VFO is low, even if the volume is cranked to 100%. Also, the audio sounds tinny and cracks in places. Thus, listening to any 2m repeater is great via a speaker but
    absolutely atrocious coming through 70cm.

To test this, I used three different speakers and the results were the same. I've never had a dual-band radio do this before, and the speakers I'm using don't have any problems on any other radios I own, including my HF radio.

I'm quite frankly stumped on this. Thoughts?

I can't offer any help, but wanted to say I'm watching for an answer or solution.

I don't suppose you read the owners manual about using external speakers. I think that the output speaker jack is actually a stereo configuration being Tip - Ring - Sleeve to provide two separate circuits for a pair of speakers. I've never seen an owners manual or had the opportunity to look at the rear of the transceiver but I found this website to help you understand the Plug and Wiring.

http://ftm400dr.blogspot.com/2016/02...r-pinouts.html

Dan
    WA9WVX

Talking SOLVED!

What Dan posted:

"I don't suppose you read the owners manual about using external speakers. I think that the output speaker jack is actually a stereo configuration being Tip - Ring - Sleeve to provide two separate circuits for a pair of speakers. I've never seen an owners manual or had the opportunity to look at the rear of the transceiver but I found this website to help you understand the Plug and Wiring.

http://ftm400dr.blogspot.com/2016/02...r-pinouts.html"

makes sense. I went to the ham radio store today and went through five portable speakers. The only speaker that works with this radio is the Yaesu MLS-200-10.

No matter which speaker I used, anything coming in on the 440 band sounded tinny, static-y and generally useless for listening. I plugged in the MLS-200-10 and, BOOM! That
    audio blew up nicely. No distortion, no chop, high level audio.

Again, what Dan posted makes sense *now* but didn't make any sense to me or the store workers earlier. We were all stumped. They were happy that I shared what I did about the speaker
    when I was there (i.e., don't attempt to sell one to someone who has a 400xdr unless it's the MLS-200) but didn't know the particulars.

Thanks, Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by WA9WVX View Post
    I don't suppose you read the owners manual about using external speakers. I think that the output speaker jack is actually a stereo configuration being Tip - Ring - Sleeve to provide two separate circuits for a pair of speakers. I've never seen an owners manual or had the opportunity to look at the rear of the transceiver but I found this website to help you understand the Plug and Wiring.

http://ftm400dr.blogspot.com/2016/02...r-pinouts.html

Dan
    WA9WVX
    Page 162 of the FTM-400 manual...

I don't have the FTM-400 but rather the FTM-100. It has exactly the same page in its manual. Both radios have a stereo to monaural plug included that is supposed to be used when connecting a monaural speaker to the radio. Both manuals also indicate the external speaker should have a an impedance of 4Ω Most external speakers are 8Ω. I found I got better audio out of my FTM-100 when changed out the 8Ω speaker for a 4Ω one.
    Last edited by K6CPO; Mon 13th Jun 2016 at 21:39.

Quote Originally Posted by sir_h View Post
    What Dan posted:

"I don't suppose you read the owners manual about using external speakers. I think that the output speaker jack is actually a stereo configuration being Tip - Ring - Sleeve to provide two separate circuits for a pair of speakers. I've never seen an owners manual or had the opportunity to look at the rear of the transceiver but I found this website to help you understand the Plug and Wiring.

makes sense. I went to the ham radio store today and went through five portable speakers. The only speaker that works with this radio is the Yaesu MLS-200-10.

No matter which speaker I used, anything coming in on the 440 band sounded tinny, static-y and generally useless for listening. I plugged in the MLS-200-10 and, BOOM! That

Again, what Dan posted makes sense *now* but didn't make any sense to me or the store workers earlier. We were all stumped. They were happy that I shared what I did about the speaker
    when I was there (i.e., don't attempt to sell one to someone who has a 400xdr unless it's the MLS-200) but didn't know the particulars.

Thanks, Dan!
    As I mentioned in my above post, the FTM-400 comes with an INCLUDED stereo to mono adapter that allows you to use a mono speaker. This is what I did with my FTM-100 and saved myself the expense of a $50.00 speaker. Not worth it in my opinion...

FWIW, I went through the same "Good Lord, that [insert brand of radio] speaker's nice but so expensive." thing 25+ years ago. I ended up with two redundant hi-fi speakers, bought from a car boot sale (not sure what you call these sort of fairs in the USA) for 1! I still have them in a box upstairs ready for when the shack is reclaimed from my son. Audio quality was superb, whatever radio they went on, from a CB, through 2m to HF.

If you don't have that adaptor that K6CPO mentions, then two minutes with the right size stereo plug, some wire and a soldering iron and you'll have a lead that will run two much cheaper speakers.
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

Default FTM$)) EXT SPKR

Quote Originally Posted by sir_h View Post
    What Dan posted:

Thanks, Dan!
    Use the adapter that came with your shiny new radio as described in the operating instructions and included in the box.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by wd9arw View Post
    Use the adapter that came with your shiny new radio as described in the operating instructions and included in the box.
    If your radio is like my Yaesu only the tip and ring get connected to the external speaker and not ground.

Default FTM-400SDX External Speaker Problems

The FTM-400 external speaker stereo jack outputs channel A audio on the tip, channel B on the ring, and chassis ground on the sleeve. A straightforward external speaker solution is to use two separate speakers - tip to one, ring to the other, and a common return to sleeve. When using a single speaker for both channels, problems arise in two ways. First, if you plug a monaural plug into the stereo jack on the radio you get channel A on the tip but the long sleeve on the monaural plug shorts the channel B ring connection to ground. Not only will you not hear channel B but you might damage the audio driver. Yaesu included an adapter with the rig to fix this problem. It ports the tip and ring connections straight through but not the sleeve ground connection. So when you insert a monaural plug into the adapter, channel A connects to tip and channel B to sleeve by way of ring connection to the long sleeve. This essentially connects the external speaker across the A and B outputs so that one acts as the ground return for the other. That's fine and works well - unless the ground lead for the external speaker can find another connection to radio ground. That is the second problem area and is what happened to me. I tried to use a speaker that was mounted in another chassis that was connected to station ground. One side of the speaker was internally connected to the chassis, thereby grounding it. The FTM-400 also had a connection to station ground via the power supply connections. So the grounded speaker chassis tried to short out the channel B audio through the external power wiring. This caused the channel B audio to be muted and distorted. Turning up the volume helped but I noticed the ammeter on the station power supply would bump on audio peaks. The audio PA was trying to drive a lot of current through the external ground loop. This was the tip to figuring out the grounding issue.

You can use a single external speaker with or without the Yaesu adapter if both of the external speaker connections are isolated from chassis ground. If using the adapter, connect the speaker across the tip and ring of a stereo plug, or the tip and sleeve of a monaural plug. But beware, if the sleeve side of the speaker connection can find a connection back to the radio chassis via external station wiring, it will try to short out channel B audio. If using a stereo plug directly into to the radio without the adapter, use the tip and ring for connections to the speaker, leaving the sleeve unconnected. You will need to find a stereo plug with a shell small enough to fit into the recessed opening on the back of the radio.

I am using a speaker scrounged from an old boom box like this and it is working great. Both channels have full audio with comparable levels. I still would like to use the chassis-mounted speaker but I will first have to go inside and break the connection from one side of the speaker to chassis ground.