Thread: is noise pickup an issue with ladderline?

Default is noise pickup an issue with ladderline?

Hello, been putting together a 40 meter dipole with a tuner for other bands, inverted v planned for final setup. I am debating the merits of ladder line vs coax. I know there's no point to using a tuner on coax other than saving the transceiver. however I live in an urban area where RF noise is a concern, is there any appreciable difference between shielded coax and open ladder line? The run will be about 100 feet.

You should be good to go with open feeder on 40. The losses are far less at low frequencies, so, provided you have a good fundamental resonance, you should have less noise...

Eventually you will need a balun to get to the coaxial input of your transceiver. Many commercial baluns have a ground terminal that provides a DC connection to both sides of the dipole. And that drains off static accumulaton from any of several natural sources ... nearby lightning storms, snow, etc.

So ... ladder line provids a quieter antenna that coax fed. Call it anecdotal evidence, but for me disconnecting/reconnecting the balun ground lug made a noticable difference in QRN on my rcvrs.
    -Jeff NE1U