Thread: HI from somerset UK

Default HI from somerset UK

Hi my name is will and I am totally new to amateur radio. I have always wanted to get in to it and when i saw an Icom IC 718 with dsp module for sale locally at a very good price after research I bought it today...so I have contacted the local club..ordered the exam books and am starting the learning curve...I icom is sat in the box as motivation

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Tangmere, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom

Welcome to the Forum and the world of amateur radio.
    Pete - 2EFVL
    The QRM Formally Known As M6PAP!!
    www.selseylifeboats.co.uk
    www.amberleymuseum.co.uk

Welcome to the hobby!

Having something that you can't use can be great motivation. When I got my Class B Licence in 1984, I was doing my HF listening on a Yaesu FRG7700 receiver. I traded it in against a Yaesu FT101ZD transceiver, and gave the mike and rear jumper plug (that stopped it transmitting) to a local friend who had a Class A Licence for safe keeping. So I could listen but not transmit and looking at the radio every time I walked past it (the shack was in between the lounge and the kitchen) and knowing that I couldn't use it fully frustrated the heck out of me! I really enjoyed VHF for a few months, and actually operating on air, building antennas and shack equipment (rather than just taking the exam) taught me a heck of a lot, but I very soon got started on the CW to get the full Class A Licence.

So I'd unbox it and make it stare at you!
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG0CCX View Post
    Welcome to the hobby!

Having something that you can't use can be great motivation. When I got my Class B Licence in 1984, I was doing my HF listening on a Yaesu FRG7700 receiver. I traded it in against a Yaesu FT101ZD transceiver, and gave the mike and rear jumper plug (that stopped it transmitting) to a local friend who had a Class A Licence for safe keeping. So I could listen but not transmit and looking at the radio every time I walked past it (the shack was in between the lounge and the kitchen) and knowing that I couldn't use it fully frustrated the heck out of me! I really enjoyed VHF for a few months, and actually operating on air, building antennas and shack equipment (rather than just taking the exam) taught me a heck of a lot, but I very soon got started on the CW to get the full Class A Licence.

So I'd unbox it and make it stare at you!
    Many thanks for the welcome...I may well be asking for advise on power supplies etc in the near future.currently swatting up on the differant frequencies etc its very interesting

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Howdy and welcome aboard !
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license on Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    My Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.