Thread: Help with antenna selection

Default Help with antenna selection

I am planning on installing my Icom Id-4100 (2m/70cm 50watt max) in my truck along side (or in place of) my CB radio and have a couple of questions. It's operating as a base station on a Tram 1480 with LMR-400 coax currently. Firstly, I have already run a length of quality Belden RG-8x for the CB antenna, and have quite a bit more if I need to do another run. The RG-8x isn't best suited for UHF/VHF though. Is a 20ft run of it long enough to cause a problem in actual real-world application? I also have some LMR-400 but the thought of running that through my truck...no. Just no. Secondly, I have the CB antenna (5ft Firestik) on a stake hole pocket mount on the driver side just behind the cab. I was thinking perhaps a 5-ish foot dual band antenna would work nicely mounted in/on the front stake hole on the passenger side. Maybe an L-bracket by the stake hole instead of a pocket mount. I was looking at the Comet CSB-790A but have seen mixed reviews for the brand and no reviews on that antenna. I wouldn't mind spending a little more for higher quality but would like a longer antenna to balance (cosmetically) with the Firestik, and to get a decent amount of antenna above the cab of the truck. It's an aluminum body F-150. I've heard that those make a poor ground plane but I'm getting an 11-meter SWR of about 1.1:1 so I dunno. Maybe worse with vhf/uhf? You've robably guessed that I'm new to the hobby. Just want to make an educated purchase and install. I appreciate the help.

~KN4SLJ

This post is several months old now. What did you end up doing? The best result is a roof mount in the center of the roof, everything else is a compromise.

I had a Subaru Outback 10 years ago where I mounted the antenna to the roof rack and ran a short dual band NMO antenna. Working mostly a local repeater within 25 miles it did fine. I also had to have clearance for a parking garage.

Obviously not the same or similar to yours but sometimes we need to be creative. The antenna in a bed stake hole or even mounted to a L bracket on the inside edge of the bed rail will work but has limitations (compromise). I've used the L bracket before and it did fine. Ideal, again, is the center of your roof for best results but not all of us have that luxury.

Dave, K5DRH

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk