Thread: Using UHF-VHF Antenna For 1.25M

Default Using UHF-VHF Antenna For 1.25M

This is technically vhf, but do not want to ruin my radio or antenna. This is a mobile base unit, not an ht.
    73s, God bless and good day. KD9KVS
    I have a brain injury.
    I am not my brain injury.
    This does not define me.

This is where an antenna analyzer comes in handy. What are the manufacturer's specifications on the antenna? You don't say whether it's commercial or homebrew.

No VHF antenna will cover from 30-300 MHz except maybe a dummy load.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Quote Originally Posted by K7KBN View Post
    This is where an antenna analyzer comes in handy. What are the manufacturer's specifications on the antenna? You don't say whether it's commercial or homebrew.

No VHF antenna will cover from 30-300 MHz except maybe a dummy load.
    Neither of the two different MFJ analyzers I have at hand cover the 220 band...

I've been hooking my 220 HT to my 2m/440 antenna for a couple of years now and I always get good signal reports from the guy on the other end, but It's not for long conversations. It's just a quick net check in.

Most MFJ analyzers don't cover 1.25m, but those from RigExpert do, and pretty well. The 269C I once used above HF had no noticeable degree of stability. An icy stare from me seemed to make it think it really was cold

Still, checking "SWR" (actually reflected power) with a cheap "SWR" meter should tell the story. Adjust rig output to full scale FWD power and then switch to REV or SWR.

You said your antenna is a dual band 2m/440. The OP didn't describe his; thus my question about what the manufacturer specified. Without that information and without some test equipment, I wouldn't even try to guess.
    Last edited by K7KBN; Fri 7th Jun 2019 at 05:34. Reason: Correcting frequency range.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.