Thread: Vehicle Acceleration Hurts Reception?

Default Vehicle Acceleration Hurts Reception?

I'm using a Yaesu FT-857D and hamstick antenna in my 1997 Ford F-150, V6 pickup. The setup works GREAT, but I have noticed that the reception clarity lessens/quiets down, when I'm accelerating. Any thoughts? The power line comes directly from the battery, and I've placed plenty of grounding straps throughout.

Thanks! Mike, N3QIG

weak battery

Only if you're approaching the speed of light...
    Other than that, I would suggest a mechanical fault, such as a poor RF connection between rig and aerial - when the vehicle accelerates, the aerial leans back a bit and maybe the centre of the coax cable doesn't touch the inside connection of the aerial. Check all connections, RF and electrical.

Could be a bad rectifier in the alternator... There are 6 rectification diodes in an alternator to turn 3 phase ac into dc.

edit: unhook the alternator and see if the issue clears up
    Last edited by brandon lind; Mon 3rd Jun 2019 at 16:29.

Quote Originally Posted by N3QIG View Post
    I'm using a Yaesu FT-857D and hamstick antenna in my 1997 Ford F-150, V6 pickup. The setup works GREAT, but I have noticed that the reception clarity lessens/quiets down, when I'm accelerating. Any thoughts? The power line comes directly from the battery, and I've placed plenty of grounding straps throughout.

Thanks! Mike, N3QIG
    If you're hearing an increase in alternator noise you might need something like this:

https://powerwerx.com/dc-line-noise-filter-oemt