Thread: Chameleon Antenna

Default Chameleon Antenna

I am using a newly purchased Chameleon antenna the complete vertical element with the supplied ground stake. I live in an HOA. I installed it as instructed. Using my rigs built-in antenna tuner my SWR is flat across all the bands but I am not radiating. My tuner is making my radio happy but the antenna is not resonating. I called CQ for an hour nothing heard!* Next step must be radials. I purchased a 20-inch square steel plate, connected the steel plate to the ground stake and ran proper length radials off the steel plate 2-4-6-8 radials. I am not being heard! What do I have to do to make this antenna resonate?
    Frustrated but never giving up!
    Terrence Franck N9BMM

How many watts on which band?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Redbicycle View Post
    How many watts on which band?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    100 Watts on all the bands

What chamelion antenna are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lind View Post
    What chamelion antenna are you using?
    the Chameleon MPAS Whip with the military extension 17 feet high

using the Chameleon Military whip and the extension with the ground stake total length 17 feet and 100 watts on all the HF bands

Default Elevate your antenna

Quote Originally Posted by Advisesoonest View Post
    I installed it as instructed. Using my rigs built-in antenna tuner my SWR is flat across all the bands but I am not radiating.
    It's not that the antenna isn't radiating but mostly because your antenna is positioned way too low on the ground while surrounded by tall structures like houses. You'll need to elevate the antenna above rooftop with a telescopic pole and then lower everything when you'll be done using it (HOA). I had the same issue years ago. My antenna was even with my rooftop and it was very hard to get heard. I then elevated the antenna completely above rooftop and then everything.

- tetrahedron

Default You might want to watch KB9RLW videos about the CHA MPAS 2.0

You might want to watch KB9RLW videos about the CHA MPAS 2.0. He explain a lot of things about it.

- tetrahedron

Quote Originally Posted by tetrahedron View Post
    It's not that the antenna isn't radiating but mostly because your antenna is positioned way too low on the ground while surrounded by tall structures like houses. You'll need to elevate the antenna above rooftop with a telescopic pole and then lower everything when you'll be done using it (HOA). I had the same issue years ago. My antenna was even with my rooftop and it was very hard to get heard. I then elevated the antenna completely above rooftop and then everything.

- tetrahedron
    Thank you so much I figured either I needed a great radial ststem or get it up off the ground. I assume the improvement was significant?

Default Solution to using Chameleon Antenna

Quote Originally Posted by tetrahedron View Post

- tetrahedron
    Thank you Sir, I figured i needed a spectacular radial system or get it up into the air! I assume you need a short mast to mount the telescoping pole to? Mount the Chameleon to the tescoping pole, get it up into the air, then mount the telescoping pole to the mast This is not exactly stealth but feasible!