Thread: Buy A Mobile, Or An Amplifier?

Default Buy A Mobile, Or An Amplifier?

I am currently using an 8 watt baofeng as my mobile radio. I get reception to my local repeaters from almost everywhere I go. I am looking to do a little more on simplex. I have found a few mobile radios at decent prices, then found amplifiers for about $50US less. The amplifier is rated 30-40 watts out, with 4-6 watts in. Weighing things out, I feel like the amplifier will do what I need, but would like to know is if anyone has had experience with these ( https://www.amazon.com/BTECH-AMP-V25...-2-spons&psc=1 ) or something similar. if not I may get one to review.

God bless and good day.

KD9KVS

I have a brain injury.
    I am not my brain injury.
    This does not define me.
    Last edited by KD9KVS; Mon 29th Apr 2019 at 21:14.

Before you spend time and money, do you actually HEAR any simplex traffic right now? Adding an amplifier will make your signal go further, sure, but it won't help if you can't hear those further away stations coming back to your calls.

I think a better quality antenna or a higher quality radio are probably the better options.
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

Yup, what Andy said, only my 2 Cents worth is, better coax, $2-300 worth of coax is usually better value than a radio, and will last longer if installed properly.

This is what I'd go for at the very least for 2m - should be around 6dB loss for a 25m run including connectors.

That is what I managed to find secondhand. There are still better solutions, but for serious VHF/UHF (if you have a half decent antenna at least) go for Heliax...

I do receive plenty of simplex. My rx/tx is better than some of the more expensive radios out there. We were on one of our local repeaters discussing that sometime back. I got an aerial, magnet mount, re-soldered the connections internally after a mishap with our sunroof, and wound up with a better setup than it originally was. Hitting the repeater from places 25 and 50 watt radios struggle. So, with all that said, I Know I probably do not need it, but those moments when I receive signal, but am a little shy of responding is what I am looking for. As an added note I am able to communicate at least 20-30 miles right now, just want a little more. These are things your questions told me I should have added to the original statement. Thank you for your understanding.

Andy, do you know of any that are in the $100USD range that you would recommend? I am on a low budget income and will have to save a while for that. I am open to suggestions, that is why I post in here, and am always looking for ways to improve.

5B4AJB, I am making a very short run, just to the roof of my car, with the cable. I will keep these cables in mind for the shack though!!!

I appreciate the input from you both, and if any of the information I have added turns you on to something else, please do share!!!
    73s, God bless and good day. KD9KVS
    I have a brain injury.
    This does not define me.

Quote Originally Posted by KD9KVS View Post
    Andy, do you know of any that are in the $100USD range that you would recommend? I am on a low budget income and will have to save a while for that. I am open to suggestions, that is why I post in here, and am always looking for ways to improve.
    Alas, I'm in the UK so can't help you with that. Sorry!
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

Andy, Hey that is alright. I am looking at options, i need to save for them, and then make a choice. it will happen sooner or later. Thank you for your input!
    I have a brain injury.
    This does not define me.

See if you can find a secondhand Yaesu FT290R2, it's a multimode single-bander - an excellent, if simple radio, last time I checked ebay, they were cheap. I bought one from new when they came out and it still works.

If you can live with 2.5W output (there's a clip-on 25W linear) it might be a good addition to the shack...

Save $ for a mobile. Once you use a true mobile while you are mobile you will discover how cumbersome a HT is as a mobile setup. I also did a HT as a mobile rig for a long time and I'm glad I converted to a mobile.

For a while I used a Baofeng 5r into a realistic 25w Amp configured much like your describing. It worked but cable management was a mess. If your looking at the $100 price point you can find good used mobile rigs. An FT 2800 is on eBay now with a $99 buy it now. Shipping is an extra $20 so it's out of your current budget but it demonstrates how close you are to a true mobile budget now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Redbicycle View Post
    how cumbersome
    true, I made a power, speaker & mic multi-plug-heatshrink-abomination for my handheld which made it quick to remove and install, it worked great with an illuminated switch on the dash, but as soon as anyone mentioned QSY, it was time to pull over...

Okay...
    That makes a lot of since. I'll start putting money back, and when I have got it I will get a full on mobile. It is funny that you brought E-bay up, because I was looking there recently, and saw some great deals. I am happy with what I have, so will use it until I can get a proper rig. Thank you all for the input. I figure if I am thinking about it, someone has tried it. you guys are great!!!
    I have a brain injury.
    This does not define me.

Well the wife and children got me an early Father's Day gift of a socotran 980plus. Its rated at 75 watts hi and throws over 80 straight from the box. It is nice not having to bring it in and charge it all the time for sure!!!

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
    I have a brain injury.
    This does not define me.