Thread: Best antenna tuner or preselector for wire fed entenna

Default Best antenna tuner or preselector for wire fed entenna

I just installed 160-6 meter 117 ft wire fed antenna with a 9:1 Transformer the qso king from mapleleaf and to be honest it really works great for my alinco dxr8t I need to have it set on 20 + decibel to hear however I do need an antenna tuner and I was wondering between the mfj 956 the mfj 959 C and the mfj 1046 which would be best for receive only the mfj 939 is an automatic antenna tuner that might be a route to go to and it saves memory Has anyone used any of these on long wire fed antennas and could recommend which one they think is best thanks so much

Auto-ATU's usually need a transceiver to work. Go for a simple manual type tuner - you won't need anything elaborate for a receiver.

An ATU (at its simplest) is simply a variable capacitor and a tapped inductor. Search for L-match or Π-match and build one for around $10!

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    Auto-ATU's usually need a transceiver to work. Go for a simple manual type tuner - you won't need anything elaborate for a receiver.

An ATU (at its simplest) is simply a variable capacitor and a tapped inductor. Search for L-match or Π-match and build one for around $10!
    thanks that's great to know so have at least eliminated one so then I'll have to narrow down between the mfj 956 which is an antenna tuner and preselector or the mfj 959c which will do two radios off one antenna so I could have my own alinco and grundig satellite 750 hooked up and definitely balanced the line to the receiver but it doesn't have a preselector and the increase in signal-to-noise ratio I have not mastered yet but that's half the fun!! If the antenna was already match the mfj 1046 Passive preselector would be the best but from what I've been researching without an antenna tuner I am missing signals out there. Any experience or knowledge on that is that true?

An ATU brings the antenna & feedline closer to resonance, unwanted signals outside the passband are reduced giving you a better signal-to-noise ratio which some (most) digimodes like.
    It will also mean weak signals will appear stronger. There is no substitute for a properly tuned antenna with no ATU, but using a tuner is the next best thing...

Default Update for 959c mfj

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    An ATU brings the antenna & feedline closer to resonance, unwanted signals outside the passband are reduced giving you a better signal-to-noise ratio which some (most) digimodes like.
    It will also mean weak signals will appear stronger. There is no substitute for a properly tuned antenna with no ATU, but using a tuner is the next best thing...
    well I got the mfj 959 C gave it a shot and it has performed exemplary that little box is like magic for my antenna !! however the only problem is I have one AM station 1700 that keeps playing itself in other bands so I guess I'm going to have to find out a way to daisy chain a mfj1046 to passively pre-select that out