Thread: Upgrading a handheld

Default Upgrading a handheld

Okay, So I'm nearing a year with my Baofeng UV-5R V2+. I'm interested in upgrading to a new handheld pretty soon. I'm looking at the Retevis RT82 or the Yaesu FT-70DR. What do you guys recommend?

IMHO I would stay away from both of them until CHIRP supports one or the other. Do either of them have software for programming or are you a program from the radio kind of person?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightbulb

I would say neither, until you know what you what from "upgrading".

I mean, what can they do, that you need, that the Baofeng UV-5R cannot?

If you need more range, then build a direction aerial. Seriously, a few watts and a good beam aerial go a looooong way!

If you find just using FM is restrictive, but want to stick with 2 metres and 70 cm, then look for a radio with SSB. But to get the most from that, you will need a direction aerial too.

If you want to use a digital mode, such as DSTAR for example, then you need to decide which mode you want (i.e., which is used most in your area) and ind a radio that supports that.

So, before you spend any money, decide what you want/need that the Baofeng UV-5R can't do. Just because it's cheap, it doesn't mean you're any less of a radio amateur for not having an expensive radio - it's want you got, it's the way that you use it