Thread: China Radio and Antenna super tx and rx

Thumbs up China Radio and Antenna super tx and rx

I am posting this here because I have only tested this on Chinese Radios and it works.

I have quite a few of these Chinese radios, and feel like I get a lot of bang for my buck. Reception inside the vehicles can be a little of a pain in the neck. one thing that i have that really seems to help is an equally Chinese/Cheap antenna. They run less than $4 on amazon, and seem to hold to around 70-75 mph on our car before not sticking anymore. One thing I will say is mine got caught in the sunroof and pulled the wires out. I popped it apart, re-soldered the wires and put a couple layers of liquid electric tape on the base to keep it waterproof. The signal seems stronger since this "operation" on the antenna. I would recommend doing this straight out of the package. I feel it is beneficial to do so. I probably sound like an infomercial, but I am thrilled with the performance of this little addition. I got the toogoo brand for free of a game I play, but there are many options that appear to be the exact same. Go to amazon and type in 106uv, and they will pop up. Shipping takes a while, but at the price point, cant complain. good day and God bless 73s

KD9KVS

I have a brain injury.
    I am not a Brain injury.
    This does not define me.

Are the cheaply priced products from China "cheap"? Sometimes, sure. But the truth is, China charges what their products are actually worth, whereas here in the USA, we charge what others are willing pay because we are just that greedy.

Although Yaesu is not made in the USA, people love them. Yet, when compared to Baofeng, my spectrum analyzer shows just as much harmonic content and other off-frequency noise coming from my FT-1XD as my UV-5R+. Thanks to youtube and reviews like yours, it is becoming easier to buy the cheap stuff from China and still get what we want out of the deal.

Thank you!

I was not aware of the information about the Baofeng putting out such a clean signal. I found a set of zt-v8s that were 2 for $20usd. They are uv-5rs with a different name on them. So my buddy got me an early Christmas gift, and i have a set. I have been looking at a 100 watt uhf/vhf model that is less than $200usd with an antenna kit and all. There is so little information about them out there, I was a little put off by the low price. After you made the statement about the uv-5r, I am thinking it is probably worth it. Maybe see if they will give me one to test and see how it works. I figure at the low price-point, if it gives 75watts power, it is still a good deal. You are spot on about them selling things at there value, and as americans we add a ridicules markup. Thank you for your added input! God bless and good day. 73s

KD9KVS

I have a brain injury.
    I am not a brain injury.
    This does not define me.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lind View Post
    Although Yaesu is not made in the USA, people love them. Yet, when compared to Baofeng, my spectrum analyzer shows just as much harmonic content and other off-frequency noise coming from my FT-1XD as my UV-5R+.
    That's interesting - I've read in various places that the Chinese radios have worse performance than the "big name" brands. Though to be honest, I've not had any problems with UV-5R, except when it got run over by a car.
    Then it cost a staggering USD 6.00 to fix...
    https://oh8gad.neocities.org/MagPageBaofengFix.html

If I still had my good spectrum analyzer, I would take a snapshot and post it. I remember slightly different dB levels, but it wasn't anything to get excited about.

All i have now is a 200MHz picoscope which wouldn't even cover the 2nd harmonic on 2m

There are a few hard to find test reposrt on the Chinese radios. I can't find one now to help. Generally, the results show pretty lousy selectivity and ample sideband noise. A conclusion is ... so don't use a bunch in one place which in ham radio rarely happens anyway.

I have a Baofeng(sp?) I bought on woot.com (I advise to not investigate) for a discount. THAT is an oxymoron but it was for less. The instant I clicked the mouse button to buy, I hated myself. Yet, while waiting for the radio to show up I ordered the absolute cheapest antenna for it that I could find on either ebay or amazon. Probably went with ebay and I am pretty sure it was ebay for <$1 shipped. At least I have that to brag about.

The local guys gave me a Chirp code plug and suddenly I had everything. Of course they only "spoke" frequency for the nearest repeater & I only spoke "whats the nearest town" because I was new in the area. TO THE POINT of the thread, the larger el-cheapo antenna definitely improved coverage and it was black & white as in very easy to tell just by swaping antennas.
    -Jeff NE1U

I use both Baofeng and ICOM HTs and I think some of the cost difference are being overlooked. Yes the Chinese radios are cheaper and for tx/rx they may be equal in performance. They lack in features though.

One big example in my use case is bank scanning.

When I travel I program repeaters for locations I will be at and save them into different banks on the Icom. I can use each back to scan only the bank for that area and ignore other areas or my home bank.

For the Baofeng I can only scan all memories. I need to either remove my home memories or increase the saved memories and scan multiple memories I know will not have anything in that location.

This gets even harder when you have two repeaters in different areas using different tones. If you try to pick one you have to remember which memory is which tone. If you use frequency vs name.

The battery on my Icom will last 2-3x as long as the battery of the UV-5r.

Lastly the scan speed is very slow on the baofeng. If I have memories for three area repeaters programmed into the Baofeng it will take 5x or 6x longer to scan through all of them vs my Icom. This is also dramatically increased when I have the Icom only scan the memories for a specific area and ignore the rest.

The Baofeng is a great backup radio but the Icom is far superior. I always thought the extra features as described above are why I paid more for it. I guess it is actually because I am a gullible American that was charged what I am willing to pay. Good news for me is I will be in Germany in a few weeks. Germans aren't as greedy so I should be able to pick up a bunch of radios from Icom, Yaseu and Kenwood for Baofeng prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spectral analyzer review with good and bad readings...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs8twTaO62Y

Testing sensitivity...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d2WSWgwuEU

testing tx wattage...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XaG-bkRcMw

To me it seems they are continuing to improve the radios as they are becoming more popular and widely used. I imagine some of the older crystal radios, and even early Yaesu radios, had very similar problems. While it is set for different bands and tuning hf is wildly different than vhf (base to ht difference) the principal still stands. That is my two cents for the day. God Bless and good day.

KD9KVS

I have a brain injury.
    I am not my brain injury.
    this does not define me.

All good points. I do like the features on my yaesu, but hardly agree that a bit more programming capability is worth an extra 300 bucks. Thing about software... once you have it, copy/paste is free (just not for the end consumer).

I surely didn't intend to call anyone who purchases an expensive radio a "gullible American", but it cannot be denied that everything in our economy is overpriced. If a given person thinks the price is fair, then for that person, that's all that matters. Value is a matter of perspective, its an opinion, but 10% of people being happy paying well above cost shouldn't be motivation for price gouging.

Speaking of price gouging, I looked up the zastone zt-v8 I was gifted, they were 2 for <20usd now to find one at that price seems like a good deal. If I am remembering correctly, that was this past December they were at that price. Maybe I just happened upon a great deal. Just a thought.

People have been transmitting with technically terrible radios since the says when we built them. Think about it a bit. You need a stable RF source that is accurate in frequency. That's pretty well all of them. You need to deviate the carrier by a precise amount, or you create distortion in the discriminator in the receiver. The Baofengs seem to do this fine. So we have clean output and correctly deviated audio with little or no distortion. At the other end, they sound the same. The less good stuff doesn't impact much on reception the other end. In a well designed transmitter, there are other things going on. Filters that make sure the output is only on the frequency it should be, making sure harmonics are clamped right down so that receivers on other frequencies don't get their performance spoiled by unwanted, spurious emissions. I had a faulty radio that could be heard loud and clear on 435.075MHZ the other side of town. The trouble is it was actually on the input of the VHF repeater (145.025MHz). Going through the VHF repeater the audio was fine, but people would try to call me on the UHF channel and wonder why I never replied - because I didn't know I was there! Outside the ham bands, all sorts of interference and data signals get picked up by my various Baofengs. Dial in this channel to my Icoms and Yaesus gives silence. There is no signal there at all, it's poorly filtered breakthrough caused by string data signals up just below marine band.

This is why Baofengs get such excellent reviews and reports on their performance. On the frequency they work amazingly well for the price. Their issues are the susceptibility to strong signals in other frequencies and less than pure outputs. When I take a Baofeng to work, where loads of RF signals are on the go - the squelch opens, strange buzzes suddenly burst out and when you push the PTT, people using the repeater get warbling in their headsets annoying them greatly. Kenwoods and Icoms can be used with the repeater remaining happy and clean.

This, I firmly believe, is why people are often happy with their Baofengs. They just can annoy other people, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by KD9KVS View Post
    I am posting this here because I have only tested this on Chinese Radios and it works.

I have quite a few of these Chinese radios, and feel like I get a lot of bang for my buck. Reception inside the vehicles can be a little of a pain in the neck. one thing that i have that really seems to help is an equally Chinese/Cheap antenna. They run less than $4 on amazon, and seem to hold to around 70-75 mph on our car before not sticking anymore. One thing I will say is mine got caught in the sunroof and pulled the wires out. I popped it apart, re-soldered the wires and put a couple layers of liquid electric tape on the base to keep it waterproof. The signal seems stronger since this "operation" on the antenna. I would recommend doing this straight out of the package. I feel it is beneficial to do so. I probably sound like an infomercial, but I am thrilled with the performance of this little addition. I got the toogoo brand for free of a game I play, but there are many options that appear to be the exact same. Go to amazon and type in 106uv, and they will pop up. Shipping takes a while, but at the price point, cant complain. good day and God bless 73s

KD9KVS

I have a brain injury.
    I am not a Brain injury.
    This does not define me.
    Wow! A $20 radio and a $4 antenna. You're really into the big time with those two...

If anyone really wants to sound good on 2m, just get a kenwood TK-705d or a Motorola Radius 1225. They made magic happen with those radios!