Thread: received my VE badge

Default received my VE badge

I filled out the open book test for it, U.S., and received my VE badge. No tests proctered yet though.

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license in Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    My Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

I'm assuming ARRL VEC? As far as I know, each VEC has to qualify their VEs themselves, although some will accept the other's qualifications. When I became a SANDARC VE, I sent a copy of my SANDARC certificate to the ARRL and they made me an ARRL VE without having to take the ARRL's little exam.

Yes, ARRL VE. Working with the ham radio club I belong to.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license in Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.

I picked up the ARRL VE and a buddy of mine hooked me up with the Laurel Group so I got their VE as well. I'd recommend you doing the same. Laurel uses computers so the test is submitted instantly vs sending in all of the paperwork. Just because we like radio doesn't mean we have to manage paperwork like Marconi did.

https://www.marcclub.org/mweb/educat...volunteer.html
    N5MKH - The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper. Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself. Up is down and down is us and man is no longer an alpha predator.

The local club I'm a member of just uses the ARRL VEC. I don't know what means they use to contact ARRL/FCC. Probably email, but I'm unsure.

No one signed up for testing in March. So far no one in April.
    Last edited by N4AAB; Tue 2nd Apr 2019 at 14:48. Reason: typo
    --

Quote Originally Posted by N4AAB View Post
    The local club I'm a member of just uses the ARRL VEC. I don't know what means they use to contact ARRL/FCC. Probably email, but I'm unsure.

No one signed up for testing in March. So far no one in April.
    The normal progression of the paperwork when someone takes an exam—and this is pretty much the same for all fourteen VECs—is as below:

1. The VE team checks the paperwork for accuracy
    2. The VE team forwards the paperwork to the VEC (more on this below)
    3. The VEC rechecks the paperwork
    4. The VEC uses the paperwork to prepare an electronic batch file and submits the batch file to the FCC. Note: All VECs submit their exam results to the FCC via electronic batch file.
    5. The FCC reviews the license application and if everything complies with their regulations, they issue the call sign/license.

Where problems arise is with item 2. Some VECs want their VE teams to send the paperwork via US Postal Service Priority Mail, while others will accept a scanned copy sent via e-mail. There are likely a number of reasons for the difference. It could be the VEC wants the original paperwork and not a copy, or the VE team won't or can't scan the results. Unfortunately, the process of postal mail causes a delay in the issuing of licenses. If a package has to go across country, it can take several days and once it arrives it may not be handled right away. I've heard of instances where call signs weren't issued for two weeks after the exam date.

On the other hand, VECs that accept scanned results can have call signs issued as quickly as the next working day (Monday morning after a Saturday exam.) My VEC has conducted exams on a weekday morning and the call signs were issued before the end of the same day.

I presume I'll find out the method once I start proctering tests. My vanity call took 19 days, and I did it online at fcc.goc.
    --

FCC vanity is a whole 'nuther animal...

So I wouldn't have to wait, I got my vanity call when I passed the General test. Many 1x3 calls available.
    --