Thread: Looking to get into HF if possible without an ATU

Default Looking to get into HF if possible without an ATU

Hi,

want to get out on HF with my Icom 706 mk2.

Are there any multiband solutions to get me on air without the need for an expensive ATU.

Have a reasonably long garden, scope for a Delta Loop, could I have more than one DL or
    another way to get the most from the Icom, not sure if am describing a Cobweb?

Thanks

I suppose it depends on your definition of expensive. I started off with an MFJ Intellituner and a random wire which exits the house by being trapped in the french window door. The wire goes down the garden in a reverse 7 shape, and is support by 2 x lengths of 2m 25mm electrical conduit.

Despite my Comet V dipole I still use this on 30m, 80m 160m with good success. Yesterday this was getting into South East Australia on FT8.

Kind regards,

Phil

An ATU doesn't have to be expensive, in it's simplest form, it's basically a variable capacitor and a coil.

A trip to your local hamfest should yield the components for around 10

I used a simple L-Match with my 100W TS-440 for years with all kinds of antennas.

Experiment! Marconi didn't have any antenna reference books; nor did he have the Internet. He did pretty well. Try a dipole cut for one band (where you are licensed to operate). Take lots of time and lots of notes
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Be careful running a mkII (or any 706) into high swr for any amount of time. While true that it should fold back power, those finals are not available as replacements unless you cannibalize another rig. A manual tuner is almost a necessity for multi band operation IMO. Experiment & enjoy!

Thanks for the pointers.