Thread: Intermediate Practical Project Ideas

Default Intermediate Practical Project Ideas

Hi

Looking for ideas for a project. Many talk of a Pixie CW transceiver though seems may be more soldering of components than necessary. Another full licence holding friend has suggested building some portable antennas though these are unlikely to see much if any component soldering.

Have just soldered for first time ever the experiment resistor and bulb board.

I’d stay away from kits, really.

I usually suggest a dummy load built in a Tate and Lyle treacle tin. This uses 20 x 1k 3W resistors in parallel giving a potential of 60W, or higher if you fill the tin with mineral oil.

This gives: a calculation to prove the impedance, a measure of the final impedance, some thought to the lay out, soldering, testing VSWR.

If you need more info drop me an email, address is on QRZ.

Kind regards,

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by pmh View Post
    a dummy load
    Not expensive to make and will be useful shack component for many years...

Gate dip oscillator, sinad meter, diode ring mixer, UHF swr meter, function generator, RF field strength meter, rubber ducky direction finder, three-voltmeter impedance measurement setup, TDR pulse generator, avalanche oscillator... I have been wanting to try a Lecher Line with LED sliders instead of Geissler tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by pmh View Post
    Id stay away from kits, really.

I usually suggest a dummy load built in a Tate and Lyle treacle tin. This uses 20 x 1k 3W resistors in parallel giving a potential of 60W, or higher if you fill the tin with mineral oil.

This gives: a calculation to prove the impedance, a measure of the final impedance, some thought to the lay out, soldering, testing VSWR.

If you need more info drop me an email, address is on QRZ.

Kind regards,

Phil
    Thanks Phil, just Googled such a project and looks useful to the shack too.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lind View Post
    Gate dip oscillator, sinad meter, diode ring mixer, UHF swr meter, function generator, RF field strength meter, rubber ducky direction finder, three-voltmeter impedance measurement setup, TDR pulse generator, avalanche oscillator... I have been wanting to try a Lecher Line with LED sliders instead of Geissler tubes.
    Thanks, wow few to consider there!