Thread: New Mode for Ghostimaging ?

Post New Mode for Ghostimaging ?

Hi,

I was a a victim of ghosting - my communication to my son was cut off by family, beyond my control not nor legal(;
    So, I was suffering and wanted to make something that my son could be proud of later. Reading about ghosting, I learned about 'ghost imaging' - 'the irony'- but, I thought it was a signal and a way to sublimate my darker feelings into something creative..

So, I came up with this idea to test a new mode for ghost imaging ; I want to know if somebody is interested in this new mode?

Ghost imaging, as opposed to raster-based imaging, uses two parameters: You select a number of (1)patterns to overlay an image with, and, observe (2) the amount of light reflected by each overlay - the math and an example is explained in my blog: https://qsl.net/on4cko/post/hugoseesghosts/

I look for someone interested in developing such a new communication "mode" for b/w imaging - a bit like SSTV was in the eighties; I'd was thinking the selected pattern as a "number" - encoded as frequency - and the observed light as the amplitude in the RF signal.

Is anybody interested?

interested, but confused - are you proposing a new communication method - does everything come in one short burst?

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    interested, but confused - are you proposing a new communication method - does everything come in one short burst?
    Hi,

Thanks for the respons.
    Yes, I'm proposing a new communication mode to send images. I'm thinking of a mode like SSTV.

As there are N^2 patterns and an equal number of observations needed to completely encode an NxN image, you'll need a lot of carriers ;
    Basically, the mode encodes N*N linear equations on the spectrum for an NxN image.
    It is possible to spread the equations over time, to achieve a slower version with lower bandwidth.

I think we need to assign a frequency, a number, to a Hadamard pattern.
    Do you have experience / suggestions on the subject?

H

That's interesting. It reminds me of Hellscriber. In "hell", each letter is composed of an 8x5 grid of blocks that are either black or white. The presence or lack of a carrier at a given time sets the blocks black or white. As far as I can tell, it goes from top down and left to right in an 8x5 grid. "Slow hell" is slow enough to hear that, given "1" is signal and "0" is no signal, "11000011 00100100 00011000 00100100 11000011" would print "X". A photo in gray scale could be sent in the same manner by increasing the number of blocks to 800x600 and changing number of bits per color to represent levels of gray.

But your idea is different from that... you want to go over each of the 800x600 blocks with one bit several times to selectively increment the black content. Its a good idea and may spread out and lessen the contrast of errors.

However, in the first paragraph, 800x600 positions at 7 bits of data per position (for 2^7=128bit gray scale), comes to 800x600x7 = 3,360,000 bits of data to transfer the photo. In your method, we need to go over 800x600 positions with a single bit 128 times to achieve the same detail. 800x600x128 = 61,440,000 bits to transfer the photo. Since skipping over the ever-increasing number of pauses in the signal would throw the receiver out of synchronization, it will take all 61440000 bits to reproduce the image. At the same baud, that's over 18 times longer to transfer the same image.

I think this is why what you suggest is not being done.

Thanks Brandon,
    I'm using your idea and adapted the hellscreiber mode using the ghost imaging - Ghost imaging gives extra fault tolerance to the Hell Schreiber ticker, without too much complicated math.

I find naming very important:
    Hell-Ghost-schreiber and Ghost-Hell-schreiber would be a logical name, but also somewhat trivial, for this new mode, if remember Aristoteles correctly, trivial naming leads to a "tragedy of the commons", I'm afraid.. (he was talking about child's names and these should reflect what both parents want)

I'd go for "Hell-Sand schreiber". What y'a think? (sand takes form, a bit like a ghost does..)

The algorithm itself was straight forward to implement - see https://qsl.net/on4cko/post/hellscriber/).