Thread: Diamond Antenna X-300A Grounding

Question Diamond Antenna X-300A Grounding

Hello,
    I found that the Support Pipe and Mast Brackets of this dual band base station antenna are nonconductive. When installing this antenna, can anyone tell me where I should connect a ground wire to the antenna for lightning protection? I am performing a gable mount using a 5' steel mast.
    The installation instructions state the following about this X-300A antenna, "DC ground structure, which escapes high voltage caused by thunder lightnings to ground, protects your radio equipment."
    Is this telling me something about this question I have?

Thanks for your help with this.
    Lenny

Not quite sure what you mean? The brackets and support tube are metal aren't they? The DC ground is done via the outer of the RF cable - so this would normally provide the ground link - but in my DC grounded antennas where the bottom is an alloy casting, this is bonded internally to the outer of the RF connector, so when attached to the usual support, there's a connection. A separate ground wire would then be taken to the tube that way - I never actually bother for antennas that are supported by bolts or lashing wire to brickwork. On commercial towers DC bonded antennas usually need binding to the tower as pert of the contract. Are your brackets plastic or something strange?

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean? The brackets and support tube are metal aren't they? The DC ground is done via the outer of the RF cable - so this would normally provide the ground link - but in my DC grounded antennas where the bottom is an alloy casting, this is bonded internally to the outer of the RF connector, so when attached to the usual support, there's a connection. A separate ground wire would then be taken to the tube that way - I never actually bother for antennas that are supported by bolts or lashing wire to brickwork. On commercial towers DC bonded antennas usually need binding to the tower as pert of the contract. Are your brackets plastic or something strange?
    I made a mistake saying the support pipe and mast brackets are nonconductive. What I should have said was the support pipe TO the mast brackets is nonconductive. I found that the support pipe needed to be sanded to remove whatever it was painted/coated with. After doing that, I now have continuity between the metal part of the antenna (where the radial elements screw in) and the 5 steel mast it is connected to.

Why was it made that way?
    Should the support pipe not have been painted/coated?
    Is there another way of providing lightning ground protection other than copper wire to a ground rod that the manufacturer thinks I should be doing?
    What is a lightning arrestor?