Thread: Antenna Tuning 10 meter base Vertical

Default Antenna Tuning 10 meter base Vertical

Put my 10 meter hygain super penetrator spt 500. Followed the instuctions to a tee. But not to the end. I assemblied and put on the roof leaving off the radials and installed them lastly. So ran my coax rg8x to radio Stryker Sr 955hp and turned it on. Now I see I have a 3 to 1 Swr on all freqs. So now I read the last page of installing antenna about tuning it. So my question is this I've read about a ugly balun to help with swr. Can I use that for a solution or do I have to remove antenna and tune it by shortening it or lengthing? Then put a ugly balun?
    Thank You
    Very new to this
    Rich

I believe you will have to adjust length of elements.

Balun is only to remove common mode current from the feedline. Although transformer ratios higher than 1:1 can alter how swr appears to the radio. This is a very complex topic worthy of a better treatment than is likely to get in this thread. Do some research on baluns on the web; this should keep you busy till spring easily.

You're going to have to adjust the vertical element to get the swr where you want it. Where is it resonant now? The basic rule of thumb is high on the higher frequency, shorten. High on the lower frequency, lengthen. That antenna came with tuning literature, didn't it? I wonder how the hairpin match looking thing plays into all this...

Thanks I was fearing that. I will have to remove antenna and set it up in the backyard to tune it. I didn't follow instuctions as well as I thought. On the vertical sections I was supposed to only overlap each one by 3 inches and use the top section to adjust to 19 feet. I thought I was making it stronger by not listening to that instruction and over lap the lower sections much more. So that is maybe a big problem. That is why all freq I am at 3 on SWR.

Might be tuned for near 8 meters...
    An antenna analyzer would sure be handy right about now. Know anyone that would help you with one?

Put a 50Ω dummy load on the antenna end your coax and check this SWR first...

Make sure you have those radials on it when you tune it in the backyard. And surrounding objects, especially metallic, can alter your swr readings, but then again there are the surroundings where it will be mounted on your roof and height above ground that may change things up. So you may find yourself taking it down again if you’re fussy about swr.