Thread: Yaesu FT-70DR VS Baofeng UV-5R V2+

Default Yaesu FT-70DR VS Baofeng UV-5R V2+

Okay so I currently own the Baofeng radio. I was talking on a local ham two days ago about an upgrade. I was recommended to buy the FT-70DR radio. I currently see an instant rebate on it for $149 on https://www.gigaparts.com/yaesu-ft-7...SABEgL4UvD_BwE. I feel like this is a steal deal. However I don't feel fully knowledged yet of all the things I can do with my baofeng but I feel purchasing this yaesu radio will make it easier to get better with ham radio. Should I jump at that deal or leave it. Also can someone give me a comparison of the two radios. How will the Yaesu radio outperform my baofeng?

The Yaesu, based on previous products will still be working in 20 years time. The Baofengs are disposable. If you break it, you buy a new one. Yaesu will keep spares, and give you support. In real terms, the differences are in development and time spent on the user experience. Toughness, build quality - that kind off thing - NOT TX or RX performance, with the small exception of the ability to reject unwanted signals. The name brands always have better filtering!

I have two, it’s a good HT and also has C4FM. The only thing I don’t like is you have to use two hands to adjust the volume.