Thread: Gov't Shutdown - will I still get my call sign?

Default Gov't Shutdown - will I still get my call sign?

Hey everybody, I'm brand new to Ham. In fact I just passed my tech test YESTERDAY. As a newbie I'm pretty eager to start transmitting (and start learning with an actual radio). But my question is, with the Gov't Shutdown, will I even get my call sign? I asked the guys who admin'd the test and they said that if everything were working normally it would only take a few days, but with the shutdown they don't know. I suspect it can't happen until the Gov't re-opens, but does anyone now for sure? thanks! -Sitka

I guess you mean the U.S. government (again)

Keep an eye on the FCC website for your call to appear, as soon as it does, you can use the radio.
    In reality, unlikely for at least a few days...

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    I guess you mean the U.S. government (again)

Keep an eye on the FCC website for your call to appear, as soon as it does, you can use the radio.
    In reality, unlikely for at least a few days...
    thanks for your reply. And yeah, sorry, I mean the US Gov't, should have specified. But with it shut down I don't see how the database could get updated, right??

[QUOTE=5B4AJB;38579]I guess you mean the U.S. government
    The OP is in the USA.
    I think you should expect a delay. Too bad! I remember waiting impatiently for my call sign to show up. It'll be worth it. And welcome to the hobby.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It would probably be a few weeks at the most, patients, good things come to those who wait.
    Congratulations !

The FCC shut down mid-day on January 3rd. I just ran a search on the ULS and no licenses have been granted since then. My VEC has told me that the FCC isn't processing amateur licenses during the shutdown. Unfortunately, you're going to have to wait until the President and the Democrats end their little pissing contest.

I passed my test on January 10th and am awaiting my call to appear also. Not to be political, but this needs to be settled, and I can wait.

Took two and a half weeks to get my call sign, and that was without a shutdown to slow things.

Quote Originally Posted by AC5PS View Post
    It would probably be a few weeks at the most, patients, good things come to those who wait.
    Congratulations !
    Oops ! A longer than a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by AC5PS View Post
    Oops ! A longer than a few weeks.
    Just ran across this, and I thought I should post it. Not much good news, though.
    http://www.arrl.org/news/amateur-rad...down-continues

In the late 1950s and into the 1960s, pre-internet times, it sometimes took eight weeks from the time the test was mailed (USPO, not USPS) until your Novice license showed up. Or your Technician license. Or Conditional license.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Now that the shutdown is over, at least for now, the FCC should start processing licenses, probably on Tuesday. It will take them at least one day to find their desks again and get the coffee pot fired up.

Leave the politics out of it. This is about all those that have taken their exams and do not have their call signs because of the shutdown.

The FCC is beginning to process the backlog of applications, but the demand on the ULS is such that it has been down more than up today. A little while ago I couldn't even search my own call sign. Everyone is just going to have to be a bit more patient.
    Last edited by 2E0FVL; Thu 31st Jan 2019 at 20:07. Reason: Political Reference

You may get yourself bumped from yet another forum for these antics Kraus if you don't knock it off. Stick to the topic at hand and quit interjecting your philosophy upon us please. Besides, your Mr. Trump said he owned the shutdown, did he not? K6CPO is right, both sides are p*ssing in the wind while innocents suffer from it. So, please refrain from this particular brand of mental illness on the forum, OK?

Lets hope the FCC can get back to what they do best apparently. If their Win 7 server can handle the load...
    Last edited by pmh; Thu 31st Jan 2019 at 20:23. Reason: Language Timothy

The mess that is posted here is so strange.. Deleted post, asterisk so that unbecoming language isn't rejected. Be polite and stay on topic.
    For gentlemen only - the FCC started processing applications on Jan 30
    http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-now-pro...o-applications

The FCC is catching up fast. Call signs for the folks I tested on January 19th showed up in the database today.

Quote Originally Posted by essbee View Post
    The mess that is posted here is so strange.. Deleted post, asterisk so that unbecoming language isn't rejected. Be polite and stay on topic.
    For gentlemen only - the FCC started processing applications on Jan 30
    http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-now-pro...o-applications

My apologies