Thread: Seeking radio activity.

Default Seeking radio activity.

So I have an app on my smartphone to look up repeaters. My issue is that I don't often find active repeaters. I currently use a baofeng UV-5R 2+ radio. I want to be able to to not only listen to just local ham repeaters but I want to be able to scan for frequencies around that could be possibly businesses, cities, and emergency. I currently just hit the scan button on my baofeng and wait hours just to find some chatter and I feel this is the wrong way to scan frequencies.

Where are you? The US? You should be able to get a band allocation for your area/country/location which shows the different frequency blocks allocation for the different uses. For example, in the UK and EU, there is PMR around 450 MHz, the band isn't very big, so you could scan that small block many times over until you hit something. Then, note the frequency and try another block for another purpose.

I am located in Texas. I figured the ARRL chart is probably something I should look at.

Repeaters out here are kinda quiet nowadays. Look up some in your area and try them out. This might be a good place to start...
    https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeate...?state_id=none
    Or go direct to Texas here - https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeate...hp?state_id=48

Enjoy!

I already have the repeaterbook app and always transmit on my local hams and usually nothing in return. I'm really trying to learn how to scan 70cm and 2m. I feel like starting at 400hz and scanning all the way to 520hz isn't a right way to scan.

There is no point to scan frequencies you cannot transmit legally on if you are trying to talk back to people. I have that same radio. what I like to do is go in VFO mode and type in the lower end of the ham band (144.000) and hit scan. You can easily change direction or skip over a noisy frequency by using the arrow buttons (sometimes 2 button pushes are required to continue scanning). When you reach 148.000, just hit the down arrow and it will start scanning back down. Just watch it and keep pressing up and down when it reaches the limits of the ham band. The reality is, that radio is not very scan friendly. I like my Yaesu FT1XD as it has a scope function and allows you to see energy within a specific window of frequencies allowing you to adjust to the one with a signal present.

As long as you only have that baofeng, there is little you can do other than working the up and down arrows during scan as there are far more possible frequencies than there are memory channels. Either upgrade radios, focus on repeater or calling frequencies in a memory bank, or keep working those arrow buttons during scan!

73! Good Luck!
    KE0KOY

Quote Originally Posted by xdm View Post
    I already have the repeaterbook app and always transmit on my local hams and usually nothing in return. I'm really trying to learn how to scan 70cm and 2m. I feel like starting at 400hz and scanning all the way to 520hz isn't a right way to scan.
    Well, if you are getting a squelch tail from those repeaters, then usually one of two things is happening.

1) There's no one listening at that particular time
    or
    2) The clique doesn't want to talk to outsiders

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case most of the time. Which doesn't do the hobby any favors in the eyes of the new folks. Telling them to just get their General and go to HF isn't an answer either. Especially when you hear some of the excuses that pass as radio operators here in the US.

I can't speak to conditions in the UK, Europe, Asia, Africa or the Pacific Rim, but here in the US it's hell being stuck on 2 meter FM. Just don't give up, get an older, inexpensive all mode radio and explore other options like satellites or something. It's been ages since I've tried to do FM 2 meter, because back then it was all but dead for the numbered reasons I gave earlier, and that was living in a repeater blessed city. I don't know how the numbers are still increasing when the A$$L sells the base license as the big kahuna. I suppose I should do my part and activate vhf activity around here, but who am I going to talk to? A clique of old men at the beach? Nyet.