Thread: Amplifier

Default Amplifier

In what order does the amplifier,radio,tuner and radio go ?

You have a technician license (limiting your 10m output power to 200w) and a radio capable of operating at 100w output (assuming you intend to use the radio listed in your profile). If your radio puts out 100w, the amplifier input must accept that. Usually, amplifiers that have an input rating of 100w will output far more than 200w. The amplifier wizards don't typically design them with a 3dB gain setting....

What radio, amplifier and tuner do you intend to use?

ICOM-7300 ,ameritron al-811,Mfj-989d, my antenna as of now is a mfj-1982hp , I’ve got a cushcraft ma-6b on back order ,yaesu G-450A rotor- my two meter rig in the house is a kenwood tm-281 with a cushcraft ar-270b, I’m studying for my general, i’ll Take the test the middle of February
    Last edited by sallisawfireman; Sun 30th Dec 2018 at 17:28.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with that particular radio and amplifier to say for sure how to connect them. The order in which to connect them should be obvious, but there is also an ALC and relay connection for most tube amps and connecting them to a modern radio is sometimes a bit more involved than "plug and play". Perhaps someone more familiar with the AL-811 and Icom 7300 can pick this one up.

Are you sure you want to be running a 600w HF amplifier with a technician license?

He could, if he throttled the radio back quite a bit. Might be hard to guarantee a 200w output, but in theory it can be done.

Oh, radio, amp, tuner, antenna. Although the amp might serve as a tuner of sorts, depending on the system swr before hand.

When you have upgraded you would do well to set the timing delay for start of RF after key and release of relay after release of key. This will prevent "hot switching your amplifier relay and causing "sticking relay" after about 1 year of amp use. Just a heads up for you to prevent problems with your amp. I lost the link for a very well done page about this but try google and amp relay timing. Good luck to you.

David Reed ac0yw

Is this what you had in mind David?
    http://www.dj0ip.de/ricki-leaks/amp-...ar-amp-relays/