Thread: Ham Radio Gear from Venezuela

Default Ham Radio Gear from Venezuela

I'm a relatively new Technician level armature radio operator who is just getting comfortable working the VHF bands, and I'm looking into working the HF bands when I get my General licence. In addition to the license, I also need the appropriate hardware, and minus the antenna and coax cable, this particular eBay listing seems to have precisely what I need to get on the air: a Kenwood TS 140S radio, MBJ Versa Tuner II, microphone, speaker, and power supply all for a very decent price.

However, there is a catch: the equipment is being sold from Caracas, Venezuela. Considering the turmoil that is occurring in that nation and the great distance involved into getting the equipment to my home in Texas, would I be right to say that is could turn out going horrifically wrong? Or is it worth the risk to get the equipment at a very below market price.

I've included a link to the eBay listing in question:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-TS-....c100752.m1982

Well, it says everything works, the seller is longtime, not a bad price for a complete setup even if it is pretty old.

The only downside I can see is, no returns.

Worst case scenario, you lose $400, best case, you spend $1 (or salvage) on a pushbutton and spend an hour fitting it.

I'd go trawling through his comments and double check he's been active longtime...

If you look at the second picture, it appears as though throughout the course of taking pictures, someone broke the inductor knob off the tuner!!! And when I see buttons missing, that's a dead giveaway someone was in there with a "golden screwdriver". They probably tried, unsuccessfully, to put it on 11m. When people who know what they are doing open radios, you don't see damage like that. Broken tuner knob, broken radio button, no returns, pass on that radio for sure!

EDIT: nope, it was broke in the first picture too. the inductor knob was the only one without dust on it. they "put it back on" to make the main picture look good. Thats kinda shady knowing how people "impulse buy" without looking at all the pics. And when someone puts the word "working" in quotes like that, Id think that means it is "kinda working"
    Last edited by brandon lind; Sat 15th Dec 2018 at 16:51.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lind View Post
    If you look at the second picture, it appears as though throughout the course of taking pictures, someone broke the inductor knob off the tuner!!! And when I see buttons missing, that's a dead giveaway someone was in there with a "golden screwdriver". They probably tried, unsuccessfully, to put it on 11m. When people who know what they are doing open radios, you don't see damage like that. Broken tuner knob, broken radio button, no returns, pass on that radio for sure!

EDIT: nope, it was broke in the first picture too. the inductor knob was the only one without dust on it. they "put it back on" to make the main picture look good. Thats kinda shady knowing how people "impulse buy" without looking at all the pics. And when someone puts the word "working" in quotes like that, Id think that means it is "kinda working"
    Given this information and the fact it's from Venezuela, I'd run very fast in the opposite direction...

There are other places you can find good used ham equipment. You might find a local club and see if there is anyone there that might have some used gear for sale. A good percentage of what I own is used and none of it came from eBay. Many of the items were purchased directly from hams in the local community.