Thread: Re: hello

Default Re: hello

Hello, Im new here and to the amateur radio world. Im currently awaiting for the study material I ordered so I can start studying for the Tech level license. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

welcome to the forum. The best advice I can give someone starting out is to find their local amateur radio club, attend a meeting and let them know your interests.
    Most clubs are very welcoming to new folks and have guys around who love to elmer.

For those who may not know, Elmer is slang for mentor.

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    For those who may not know, Elmer is slang for mentor.
    Yeah, Im finding that theres a language all its own with Ham radio operators. They like to use acronyms as well; gotta learn that too

Default thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Obed View Post
    welcome to the forum. The best advice I can give someone starting out is to find their local amateur radio club, attend a meeting and let them know your interests.
    Most clubs are very welcoming to new folks and have guys around who love to elmer.
    Ive signed up for a free course that will take place over a weekend where they will also give the test. I just ordered a cheap Baofeng to play with until I get my license. The instructor of the course will provide a list of clubs to check out so Ill follow up with that.