Thread: HOW do I identify an antenna

Default HOW do I identify an antenna

Hello,

I have a few antennas kicking around, but they have what I assume are coils on them (example: https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1smwNP...Xq6xXFXXXN.jpg) I dont want to post a picture of each one on here, I want to learn how to identify them. How would I identify an antenna with a coil? Someone told me to buy a SWR meter for each band... Oo no... there must be a better way. Another person said to buy an antenna tester?? but I have found nothing on this and suspect its an expensive SWR meter with an antenna tuner built in. I am not wealthy.

I have looked on this forum and I seem to only find tons of people sending a picture, asking you to do the leg work. I am asking, how can I do the leg work without trying to compare it to photos on google.

Any assistance is appreciated.

-Jim

If you do not want to buy one, check with your local club and see if one of the guys will come over and use his antenna analyzer and give you a hand.
    As you mentioned, they are expensive and if a guy does not know you well, he may not want to let his analyzer go off with you.