Thread: Yaesu Vertex 150

Default Yaesu Vertex 150

Hi Folks,
    I do not post here too much because I am trying to ease myself into the ham environment and it is hard to ask a question when you do not know enough. Well here goes. I read online that the 2 meter band was good for an introduction to ham radio. Well I bought the radio noted in the title. All I wanted to do with it for now was to listen to the 2 meter band and see what it was all about. I got a manual for this radio but after reading it most of what is there is how to transmit. I do not want to do that as I have no license. It there anyone that can walk me through the steps to turn this thing on and how to listen. I do not know a lot of the jargon that goes along with descriptions so I am shut out much of the time in understanding how it all works. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Regards,
    Don

Forgive me if this sounds rude. I noticed that you have been a member of this site for well over a year and many of the questions you post suggest that you have very little interest in studying the hobby on your own. Being a ham radio operator is a privilege one earns, not by asking everyone for the answers, but with studying. Lots of it. To buy an expensive HT having no knowledge on using it (or not being able to understand the manual well enough to listen to 2m) seems a bit odd to me. Especially knowing you have had an interest in radio for at least a year.

Why did you not purchase a simple scanner? All you need to do is search around between 144MHz and 148MHz or maybe look up the local repeater outputs on the internet. Too many people are buying the radios first and then trying to learn the hobby afterwards, and that's totally backwards. This sort of thing is why we have so many unlicensed people kerchunking repeaters and it is highly unlikely anyone licensed will guide you through running that particular radio.

Don't try to "ease yourself" into the hobby, DIVE INTO IT! Buy a few books on ham radio!
    Last edited by brandon lind; Sat 1st Dec 2018 at 23:51.

Well I will take your word for it that you are not trying to be rude. I have toyed with the idea of getting into ham radio and have read many online treatments of the experience. I have no first hand experience with ham radio, only hear brief conversations using my shortwave radio. From what I had read online it was a good first step to listen to the two meter band and see if you wanted to go further. I bought the radio I described and as I said read the manual but did not really find out how to do what I wanted. I have been on different forums for hams and always had an understanding from reading different user responses that the ham community was a warm and helpful group. I believe these helpers are called elmers and they seem to mentor newbies like myself into the field. So as it happened I belonged to this group to find out about this ham business. I do not know any hams or even if there are ones around me. I am not good on making cold calls to people and asking for their help. I have t he book for studying for a license but had to set it aside for awhile due to surgery. I am 73 and have a pacemaker/defibrillator and my health is not good overall. I am a bit slowed down by these heart problems and my age. If you think that no one on this site will give me help just for my questions then I must have had the wrong impression of hams. I do not know if your feelings are the consensus of this site but there are always others out there that may help me get started. I just thought I could buy a radio to see what it was all about, ask some questions and then get down to business. Thanks for giving me some idea of what hams are like.

I apologize for offending you. I definitely do not speak for all hams and most ARE very welcoming. I usually am too. The reason I responded the way I did is because this forum and many others like it seems to have one big thing in common... non-hams trying to use ham radios. This is very frustrating for many people.

Page 9 of the user manual is where you want to be.

1) turn the volume knob clockwise to turn on the radio.
    2) directly below the volume knob is the squelch control. adjust this counter clockwise all the way. you should hear static.
    3) set the volume to a comfortable level
    4) turn the squelch control clockwise just until the static sound stops breaking in completely
    5) Press the VFO button. VFO stands for variable frequency oscillator mode. This is where you can enter a desired frequency and listen without needing to program in channels etc...
    6) There is an "A" and a "B" VFO. this is for easily switching between 2 channels, they work identically. Start with "A"
    7) Identify the frequency you wish to listen to. This can be done by looking up the local repeater outputs online.
    8) Type in the frequency of interest using the key pad (excluding the first digit). If you wish to listen to 146.520MHz, type in "4" "6" "5" "2" "0"
    You will now be receiving on that frequency.

EDIT: The fact that you would we so offended at the age of 73 for the logical concerns I made (while not knowing your age or situation) frustrates me. I still firmly stand behind my original statement. The internet has given us the knowledge of the whole world at our fingertips and look what we do with it. Nothing. It took less time to look up those instructions than it did to write this response.

I remember being a member of this forum a while back and recall removing myself for reasons related to a situation like this. I do not wish to make anyone feel uncomfortable, unwelcome or offended, but it seems, in today's age, that's an easy thing to do. I'd carry anyone through the battlefield as long as they used their own two feet to get themselves there! 73 to the forum, I'll be QRT.
    Last edited by brandon lind; Mon 3rd Dec 2018 at 05:38.

you might try you tube, there may be a video of the radio in question being demonstrated or reviewed.
    Many of the manuals are tough to understand...or assume one knows a bit more than they do...
    I have been involved with amateur radio since 1961 and some of the manuals have me scratching my head from time to time.
    Some of the hand held units are very difficult to program with the buttons, I have a couple that I could not... so I got the programming software...made life a lot easier... other than that, I would suggest that you contact your local amateur radio club and see if they have a folks willing to be your elmer.